Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maxichall

maxichall Report 4 Apr 2008 13:35

When are the next lot of hot matches due? I thought it was today!
Regards
Max

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 4 Apr 2008 13:43

Your guess is as good as any, mine last turned up at midnight on a saturday night but timed at 9 oclock earlier, I wondered where in the cyberspace they had been for 3 hours ?

SallyF

SallyF Report 4 Apr 2008 13:43

Is it just me or does anyone else spend ages looking at them to find no relevance to them?

Krystyna♥

Krystyna♥ Report 4 Apr 2008 13:46

Mine came through 2 days ago.

maxichall

maxichall Report 4 Apr 2008 13:47

Thanks Lindsey - so they are due today - I thought so!!

Sally I have found 6 relatives throught hot matches - which I am in contact regularly!!! I have just updated my tree - so I am hoping i will make more contacts - don't give up on them - some weeks I don't get any and sometimes I hit the jackpot.
Good luck
Max

SallyF

SallyF Report 4 Apr 2008 13:50

I've had three that were relevant. But I've had some come through with names that aren't even on my tree! I do tend to only look at ones with more than one match.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Apr 2008 14:15

Well mine always came through on a Sunday night so I would pick them up on a Monday morning....Or Sunday if I couldn't sleep :)

Now mine are usually sent on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

The e.mail notification follows a day or so later, after I have 'done and dusted' :))))

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Apr 2008 15:05

Marion

They are more than often 'Not' because the site only picks up names and birth dates...Places of birth are not included in the search.

There are frequent discussions on here about how places of birth cannot be included (aparently depends on how someone enters the details) because it would exclude possible matches.

Well I am sure, if Genes set their mind to it, they could at least exclude the non matches in different hemispheres.......If I see another XX born XXXX in Australia matching mine in Surrey England I may well scream!!! lol

A drop down box for entering Country of birth (as a compulsory option) would surely eliminate alot of that. It could include all the countries listed in similar boxes on other sites (Like you do when entering credit card details on say the GRO)

However 'Unknown' would also have to be one of the default options.....For those we really have no idea about their Country of birth as they may well have landed from Mars or Planet Zorg :)))

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Apr 2008 15:40

Marion

So you have a 'Hot Match' where the names that match each time are getting longer and longer but you have tried contact and they don't respond?

In that case there are two options both in the negative as far as contact is concerned.

1. They have changed their e.mail address and not told Genes so your contact message is being lost in the ether.

2. They lost interest in tracing their family history so are choosing not to reply. They don't have to be a paid up member to get a message from you, and they can reply as a free member if they chose to do so.

Because of the way this site is set up for Hot Matches you will still get the indicator 'New Names' added to possible contacts who left the site many moons ago.

Because their tree is still here, as Genes trawls for the next lot of matches, they will add more and more with each search, as it matches what is shown in your tree.

I have a 'cousin' who left this site about two years ago but never deleted his tree. I sometimes have a few additional names from his tree that are added under his name as a Hot Match Contact.

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2008 15:44

Hot Matches will only check 100 of your names at a time. There is no guarantee that it will find any matches which is one reason you can go for months without having any new ones.

As far as matching addresses, yes it can be done but it is not that easy. I was involved with a name and address matching project with a major bank a few years and several millions of £ were spent getting it working. Eventually even after building in logic to check for close similarities, mis spellings etc , we ended up having to over report, as we coudln't run the risk of missing any. The business owner responsible for the client then had to troll through and discard all those that were not true matches - a bit like GR in some ways.....!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Apr 2008 15:53

Peter

I take your point.

But surely if you are only 'picking' from a drop down list (compulsary) of Countries, including an 'Unknown' option, that would help reduce the mis matches on a site such as this?

Or am I being very naive?

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Apr 2008 06:15

Chris, yes it would, but only for those who type their details in directly.

Many members upload trees from tree maker programs, where there is no control over what is entered. Have you noticed how many names haven't even got a place or date of birth at all?

Huia

Huia Report 5 Apr 2008 07:22

I had my last lot of matches 10 days ago, so mine are not due for at least 4 days. I say 'for at least' because it is sometimes more than 14 days between.
I have lots of 'cousins' of various degrees found through these matches. Several are 3rd cousins (all my first and 2nd cousins I know, most still live in New Zealand) and then there are some 6th and 7th cousins, possibly once or twice removed. I did find a half 2nd cousin once removed earlier this year.
Huia.

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 5 Apr 2008 08:17

I have had a good hotmatch from someone - but I didn't bother to contact them. When GR insisted that I had to put a country of birth when I entered details of rellie's husband, I put Uzbekestan, He showed up!! I hope they are spending a lot of money on a trip over to there.
B

Huia

Huia Report 6 Apr 2008 20:14

Send GR a message, Maureen. I didnt have any for a long time at one stage, and sometimes they were not notified.
I now note in a diary when they arrive, and whether or not I received an email to notify me.
Huia.