Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Locative surnames before the census??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 4 Apr 2008 14:56

Hi

Have any of you found a locative surname in an area of England where the surname doesn't originate but they lived and died there just before the 1841 or 1851 censuses? I have Inkpen rellies in Oxon before 1800 yet the surname is Sussex and Dorset but need proof of my lines links to one of them two mentioned counties.

The only one I managed to prove was John Stewart bc1740. When he fathered his last children in Durham c1800-1803, his place of origin was given as Selkirk, Scotland, on his childrens baptisms as he lived in Durham which confirmed the long suspected Scottish connection with a surname like Stewart.

I have Coombs ancestors in London yet Coombs is a Dorset/Somerset name and Goodacre's in Bermondsey yet it is a Leicestershire surname but havet yet found the Dorset or Leics connections?

Have any of you had a locative surname in an area of Britian where the surname is found before censi, ie, O' Donoghue in Suffolk in 1690s??

Ben

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 4 Apr 2008 15:06

Yes they are usually in coastal areas...at least in my family. They started in Scotland and worked their way down the east coast until they reached London

Alistair

Alistair Report 4 Apr 2008 15:46

Logically, if a person is distinguished by his/her place of origin, then that is because they have moved away from that place.

No point in calling all the people in (say) Oxford, by the name Oxford.

Alistair

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 4 Apr 2008 16:53

I've got a family group called Storey in Somerset. It's not a locative name exactly but it is out of place because the name originated up near the Scottish borders.

I've traced my Storeys back to the mid 1600s in Somerset and it is handy that it is an out of place name because all the Somerset Storeys appear to be related to each other up until quite recently.

If you do come across a name which is far from its origin I think it is worth collecting all examples of that name you can find. They often turn out to be all connected and untangling the relationships can be really interesting.

My 2x great grandfather's third "wife" has his surname on the 1901 census and if I hadn't recognised the woman's details from my collection of the Storeys I might not have realised that she was his cousin's widow. She was entitled to call herself Mrs Storey but not through being married to my ancestor! That explained why I've never found their marriage.

Sue

Thelma

Thelma Report 4 Apr 2008 18:46

Well if you believe all the theories then there is a good chance they originated from Inkpen.Which is Berkshire.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2008 20:06

My father's name Cadd has been traced back to Buckinghamshire.

It suddenly appears in 1720 when John Cadd was born in Edgecot ........ and that is it, no record of his parents' names. He married a Katherine Mason in 1841, and her history has been traced back to 1540 in that area.

People have been working on this since the 1980s, and have been stuck at 1720 almost as long as that!

The name Cadd is found in other areas of the UK, and there have been suggestions that there might have been a migration from Europe ............... but no connection has been found.

There are also Cadds' in the eastern US who emigrated in the early 1800s (and possibly earlier) .. but connecting those up is also turning out to be problematic.

Any Cadds in Australia and California are connected to "my" line.

sylvia