Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BURKE/IRISH GENEALOGY PROBLEMS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LaurenEley87

LaurenEley87 Report 5 Apr 2008 22:20

Margaret Burke is my great great great grandmother and her birthpace is Kilkenny, Ireland. At first, I believed I had found the Burke family, however, after obtaining Margaret Burke's marrige lines to Adolphe Viguie (West Derby, Liverpool, 1882), I found out her father's name is in fact John Burke and not Patrick as I had first believed.

John Burke is down as deceased on the marriage certificate, but his profession was an Architect. Adolphe Viguie is a mystery himself: only record of him is this marriage, and that he is French. His father's name we now know from the marriage certificate was a Marciline Viguie and he was a Wine Merchant. Adolphe, who is 21 at the time of his marriage in 1882, is a Hotel-keeper. Margaret is 27 at the time of the marriage. However, we believe now that she in fact lies about her age on later census', especially in 1901, when she is found as re-married to a Thomas Redman who is a lot younger than her!

Margaret is recorded as Margaret Viguie, as a widow on the 1891 census, and is down as living in Chorlton, Manchester - profession housekeeper - with a two year old daughter, Mary Alice Viguie (my great great grandmother) and it is on this census that Margaret's birthplace is registered as 'Kilkenny'.

I'm finding it difficult to find anything more now about Margaret's family or roots in Kilkenny - even records of family in Liverpool is proving to be a struggle. Perhaps her mother remarried due to John's death? The only thing I can think that may help is the fact that on the marriage certificate, Margaret has a witness called Anne Burke: could be a sister/in-law?

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Lauren.

LanarkshireLassie

LanarkshireLassie Report 6 Apr 2008 10:28

Hi Lauren.

Interesting family you have.And finding a brick wall is so frustrating.I look for another rellie if this happens, and go back to the original search when I have cleared my head.
You mentioned about Margaret's mother remarrying?
Very possibly if she had a young family to support.
I found out last week that one of my 3x great grandmothers did so in 1866. She was 34.

Good luck with your search.

Regards.

Gail