Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old newspapers online archive

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 7 Apr 2008 16:21

I do not recall the Gale digital site being mentioned here,apologies if it has!
A friend put me on to it,it is a wonderful online archive of newspapers etc going back hundreds of years. At the moment there is a free trial offer for a while.
The site is http://access.gale.com/gdctrial/login/html. I hope that is right!
I found my great great grandmother's obituary notice in 1894 in a Newcastle newspaper,amazing!

Mike

Michael

Michael Report 7 Apr 2008 20:09

Hi Mike
What a brilliant site for family history research.

Mike

Alan

Alan Report 7 Apr 2008 20:17

Talking to yourself :D

Thanks for the link.

Michael

Michael Report 7 Apr 2008 20:30

You are welcome Alan,too good to keep to myself!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2008 22:57

The link does not work for me....please can you confirm that it is accurate. Thank you

Trisha Anne

Trisha Anne Report 7 Apr 2008 23:26

Hi

The link doesn't work for me either! However, with a little trial and error I reached:

www.gale.com which is linked to www.cengage.com. With much drilling down it appears to offer documents relating to US, Asia, Australia, Latin America, Brazil, Europe, Spain and India.

I don't have time at the moment to explore the site in depth, but someone may find it useful.

Trisha

Michael

Michael Report 8 Apr 2008 08:49

Sorry folks I think it should be
access.gale.com/gdctrial/login.html
I am still a computer novice! My trial period has lasted only a week and I have no idea what the subscription rates would be.
I found Birth Marriage Death and obituary notices by selecting the paper in which I was interested,The Newcastle Courant,entered an ancestors name with a search period between selected dates.
Between those dates all sorts of entries appeared from court cases,legal notices and BMD and obit notices. Then I am afraid it was ploughing through them to find any matches!

Mike

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 8 Apr 2008 11:26

Mike (or anyone else that knows) - is this website relevant to the UK or only for USA etc? Also, to register there is a box that says "Institution Address" - did you just put your home address in there? Also, I'm a bit unsure about giving my telephone number out - and you can't register without doing so.

Am I being overly cautious?

Thanks - Athena

Denise

Denise Report 8 Apr 2008 12:00

I registered on the Gale site last week, I invented a tel no and for institute addy I just put none. It worked and have had a great find of my gg grandma commiting biggamy lol..

Its really worth looking if you can get in. Its got lots of UK papers and much more.

Mike register again with the same details and they will let you in again, I have to re register everytime I go in but Ive never been denied.

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Apr 2008 12:16

Some of the contents

The Times Digital Archive, 1785-1985

British Newspapers 1600-1900

19th Century British Library Newspapers

Germaine

Germaine Report 8 Apr 2008 12:52

I just went to get in and my trial had expired . Just filled it all in again and it has let me in.
I put my name and email addy. Then put none in every box except state where I click international .
Great site have found loads.
Germaine
x

Michael

Michael Report 8 Apr 2008 13:22

Glad to have passed it on!

Mike

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 8 Apr 2008 14:21

Ok thanks - I'll give it a whirl. Have already had access to Times Online through a library site but they've stopped giving access now and I miss it!

Athena

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 10 Apr 2008 23:51

Fantastic site! Thanks so much Mike. I've just spent the past two days glued to the old newspapers. Found lots about my family that I didn't know.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2008 00:04

Found lots of mine in the petty sessions :o(((