Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

best place to get certs?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Apr 2008 13:17

id like to get quite a few for my file, b m +d's of my grandparents,gt and gt gt - also some birth certs to check parentage and a couple of death certs to check the details ( cause of death )

there will be quite a few, so the gro may work out costly?

any advice?

cheers - cathy x

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 8 Apr 2008 13:24

Cathy

As far as I know I think the GRO is the cheapest, £7 per certificate if you know the reference number, although they do charge you £3 to just look it up if it is the wrong one.

Perhaps your local Record Office will be able to help, I know the Manchester one charges £7, but take no money for looking it up if it is not the one you need.

Maybe someone else knows different.

That reminds me, must sort out and order a few certificates myself.

Marilyn

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 8 Apr 2008 14:07

hello catherine
i have managed to get marraige certs for 10p and 50p.
i had to go to the records centre where i live and find them myself, some you might struggle to find depending if it was a register office that they married in . death one you will have to send of for them.
what county are we looking at?
tina

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 8 Apr 2008 14:32

Tina..... Please tell ....which records centre gives Birth certs for 10p and 50p? If it was in an area I needed it may warrant the travel costs. Is this standard at all record centres {providing you find them yourself} does anyone know.? or have you just got lucky Tina.?

Nicky

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Apr 2008 14:40

Last time I went to the local archives it was £1 for a photocopy and they would not do it while you waited. You had to fill out a separate form for each record you wanted and they would then send them to you.

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 8 Apr 2008 15:02

hi nicky
leicester family history records centre and the one in wigston, i went through the church records and found what i was looking for and got them copied.
very easy
tina

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Apr 2008 15:05

What a great idea Daisy!!!!

I have just told other half that we are going to Birmingham for this years holiday.....

If looks could kill!!!

lol

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 8 Apr 2008 15:07

lol still looking
the thought of it i would of loved to see your oh face , i could just image it.:-)

Catherine

Catherine Report 8 Apr 2008 15:39

All the relatives are from Glamorgan, ive never been to a records office before -what would i need to do? make an appointment, let them know what im coming to look for, or just turn up?
What sort of records would they hold, just bmd's or do they have others too?
ive got the ref numbers for most of them -but for £7 each its going to cost a bit !
Sorry, loads of questions there !!

JackieinEssex

JackieinEssex Report 8 Apr 2008 15:48

I use the Essex record Office on a regular basis. You just go along with proof of ID get card, which you then use on future visits. Parish records are on microfiche which can be copied. Copy cards are purchased 10 for £3:00 or 25 for £6:00. Much cheaper if you have lots and the parish records are available.
Good luck

JackieinEssex

JackieinEssex Report 8 Apr 2008 16:11

At Essex RO you do not book seats just turn up.
However you can use your membership card (once you have one) to access their online Archives from home and order up to 2 items to be ready for your arrival. You can also search their records to see what is available from the comfort of your own home; this is useful in planning future visits.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 8 Apr 2008 20:11

Thanks all for your input about record offices.....didn`t realise you can photocopy so much........ I dare`nt mention holidays in Lancashire or Derbyshire to OH, as last October we had a couple of days in London and I dragged him round a church where rellies had been christened....made him read all the plaques on the walls incase one was about a family member, and then on our way home drive about 10 miles out of our way to take a look at a family home from 1890s.......he still hasn`t forgiven me..........so I`m going to have to take these trips on my own in the future......he`s lucky I didn`t go and spend the day at Westminster Archives when we were in the area....as I was itching to go there....but we were having a break away together and I`d already pushed my luck with the church... Oh well I WILL get to all these places one day....

Nicky

Moira

Moira Report 9 Apr 2008 05:21

Sorry to sound so thick, I have a number of birth certs. that I want, I would need them from Sheffield, I have visited the Archives there and looked up the baptisums and photo copied those, but do I understand that they also hold the actual birth certs.
Moira

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Apr 2008 06:28

I have never heard that you can get copies of actual birth certificates from the local archive office, copies of parish registers, yes, but surely you have to go to either the GRO or local Registry Office, for the actual certificates, and pay the required fee?

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 9 Apr 2008 10:21

moria never think you are thick we all are learning.
as peter as said for the baptism you can copy them. For the certs you will have to send of for them and death certs .

Joy

Joy Report 9 Apr 2008 10:35

We are all on an upward learning curve, no matter for how long we have been researching our families.

Peter is correct. The parish register can be copied, if allowed, at some record offices; or one can copy the details from the fiche / film; this would not contain the birth registration but the baptism.