Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

V F M ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 8 Apr 2008 13:27

Can anyone please let me know the most cost effective site for BMD's + Census information. I need lots so 50 within 7 days would last me 1 night....

Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Jo

Camille

Camille Report 8 Apr 2008 13:32

My opinion Jo' is that a membership to Ancestry is by far the best value for money especially if you have a lot of searches to do .

Good Luck

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 8 Apr 2008 14:19

Yes, as said on a similar thread today - definitely Ancestry - you'll get your monies worth with them and it's not at all complicated to search.

Athena

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Apr 2008 14:20

The 1881 census is free to search on www.familysearch.org.

Use FreeBMD for bmd's up to about 1920 (although they are not fully complete).

The best use of your money would be a subscription to Ancestry which always sounds expensive at about £80 for the year, but works out at little over £1. 50p per week and you can use it as much as you like for a whole year. I think most people on this site would say Ancestry is a must to do any real research.

Kath. x

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 8 Apr 2008 14:29

You can also get the BMD's free on Rootsweb

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

These are transcribed up to about 1920

Some census counties also free on

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

The 1881 census is free to search on www.familysearch.org

You can get a 14day free trial on Ancestry.

I believe that buying credits for Gr is the most expensive way to search as they also take units for the BMD's which are free on other sites I am told.

You could also ask on these boards for some lookups,a lot of people will help. If you do please give all the information you have including approx birth year and area of country.

Christine

JackieinEssex

JackieinEssex Report 8 Apr 2008 16:01

Find My Past. Com http://www.findmypast.com

Has BMD; census, migration; miltary etc and you can buy differing levels of membership. I have full membership and use it all the time alongside Ancestry. The full Explorer package is £89.95 annually. You can have a 30 day membership for 14.95

Joanne

Joanne Report 8 Apr 2008 18:19

Thankyou all - off to do some searches.
xx