Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What info is included in a death certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LornaM

LornaM Report 9 Apr 2008 04:20

Can anyone please tell me what info is included in a death certificate?

I'm about to order one of my great grandfather who died approx 1894 in Liverpool. I know from 1891 census he was born in Ireland but have no record where in Ireland.

Would a death certificate include the county & date of birth?

Would be grateful for any info.
Lorna

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Apr 2008 06:09

See: http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
No birth info - but pay heed to who the informant is - they might be a rellie traceable back in Ireland.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2008 10:58

Name
Age at death (as known to the informant, and not always correct)
Occupation
Place of abode
Cause of death
Date of death
Name of informant

LornaM

LornaM Report 14 Apr 2008 01:01

Thank you mgnv
Lorna

LornaM

LornaM Report 14 Apr 2008 01:02

Thank you Reggie
Lorna

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2008 04:14

Lorna

The information shown on a death certificate is the information known to the informant at the time ..... who might be a relative, spouse, child, or a neighbour or nurse who was present at the death.

You have to be aware that the name might be spelled wrong

the age might be wrong

it may say widow/widower/husband/wife of xxxxx .... and that might be spelled wrong

what will be correct will be cause of death, date and place of death, and the informant's name and address!!!

I often think that the death certificate is actually the least useful of all the certificates 'cos so much that is on there is hearsay! In other words, what the deceased has told whoever

sylvia

LornaM

LornaM Report 15 Apr 2008 01:17

Thank you for that Sylvia.
Its hard isn't it?

I was secretly hoping for a date of birth & place where born ...(massive long shot i know)

Never mind .. i'll keep at it.

Thanks again

Lorna