Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh my goodness

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 10 Apr 2008 21:17

Very, very excited at the moment

I have just had a hot match with my Great Grandad and my Grans brother.

Never made contact with anyone on this side before.

Linda

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Apr 2008 21:21

It's great isn't it! I'm now in contact with at least 3 of my 3rd cousins :o)

Sam

Sam Report 10 Apr 2008 21:21

Don't get too excited, have you contacted them and have they replied? Soooo many people get excited and then disapponted when their 'hot match' doesn't get back to them!

If they have replied, good luck, I hope you find some long lost relatives, it is very exciting when you do!

Sam x

Linda G

Linda G Report 10 Apr 2008 21:27

Hi Sam,

I have just sent them a message and am hoping they reply.

I am trying hard to curb my excitement.

linda

Linda G

Linda G Report 11 Apr 2008 17:32

They have replied and we share the same Great Grandparents... so my Gran and her Grandad were brother and sister.

Yay.

Linda

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 11 Apr 2008 17:48

I`ve made quite a few contacts through this site ,mainly people who our gr gr grandparents were brother and sister or sister and sister..... its great fun swapping all your info....One of my contacts has sent me quite a few photos, which has been a real bonus.

Nicky

Linda G

Linda G Report 11 Apr 2008 17:54

Hi Nicky,

That is what I am hoping. My Gran was the eldest, left home at 14 to go into service then went to Canada for a while, she must have lost contact with all of her family.

I saw her every week till she died aged 87 and never ever saw or heard of any family. Wish I had asked more but was only 14 when she died and you don't ask anything at that age do you?

Linda

Southern Jo

Southern Jo Report 12 Apr 2008 17:30

Very satisfying, isn't it ... I have just made contact with some descendants of my g grandfather who died in France in 1917 - my g grandmother remarried and lost touch with her 1st husband's family ... I have just made the first contact in almost 90 years!

jo

Linda G

Linda G Report 12 Apr 2008 18:02

Crikey Jo that's amazing. My Gran was married before she married my Grandad and I would love to contact someone from his side of the family. Quite a common name though, William White from Aldershot. That's all I have,

Linda

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Apr 2008 05:31

It's great isn't it?

Most of my contacts are from at least the gggrandparent level, or even further back .... particularly as one of husband's families had 20 children! And most of those from that family are actually from the wife's side (ie the mother of the 20), not from the direct line!

BUT I did make contact with someone who turned out to be my younger cousin's daughter ..... and we re-made contact just about 6 months before he died, unexpectedly soon, of COPD. All contact was through his daughter as he didn't have a computer and was basically house bound. But I had had no contact with him since he was about 10.

It was really funny though, because I found her by typing one of my family names in the search engine, and it brought up her names. Hot Match wouldn't have matched us up ................. because she had all the birth years way way out. Her dad couldn't remember when his dad or grandparents were born, so she'd guessed!

sylvia

Linda G

Linda G Report 16 Apr 2008 10:35

I have had an email back from her and ... yes... it's confirmed my Gran and her Grandad were brother and sister.

I am now the very pleased owner of a photograph of him and his wife, not sure what year but when he was quite young.

We are sorting out some more information.

She still lives in the town where my Dad was born so a visit might be arranged.

Linda