Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Check with Church before you go

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 11 Apr 2008 10:30

Just a little tip, I have 3 families that were either born, christened or married in Strood and Frindsbury over a period of 150 yrs.
I live 250 miles away so I asked a fellow researcher of my families to have quick look round the graveyard at St NIcholas Church.
He came back to me to tell me there werent very many graves there.
Surprised I phoned up the vicar, who wasnt there, but a lovely young man who informed me that the graveyard was flattened in the mid 1960's, and unfortunately no record of the burial plots were recorded.
I was very disappointed and was also very glad I hadnt travelled a 500 mile round trip for nothing.
So if you are doing field trips phone up first!!

Carol

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 11 Apr 2008 12:23

I attended a Christening at Frindsbury Chruch last year and there was a large graveyard next to the Church. This was the Church up on the hill overlooking the Medway.

Jeannie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Apr 2008 14:28

Also check on City Ark website cos they have parish records online for for baptisms, marriages and burials for churches in the medway area. Each church they have records for are listed and you click on the link to enter each record.
The site can be a bit of a puzzle at first until you get to know how it works. You see copies of the actual parish register which you can down load

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 12 Apr 2008 04:44

Hi
THanks for the info, I know about City arc,but I didnt know about Frindsbury, I ' ll give it a whirl.
Regards Carol x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Apr 2008 07:38

Even though the graves were flattened, there should have been a burial plan somewhere already, ...or how would then know where ground was free or old graves were sited to open them for spouse burials?

I know it can be really difficult locating a plan though.
I asked a vicar about a local churchyard and was told that the plans had been handed to the council .
I haven't followed up that information yet.

Gwyn