Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupations on census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SallyF

SallyF Report 11 Apr 2008 14:34

A relative of my OH's has the occupation of 'Annuitant Lunatic' against his name in the 1881 census. In previous ones he's just and 'Ag Lab'. In the 1891 census he doesn't even appear.
Does anyone know what the 'Annuitant' bit means? I have wondered whether it has anything to do with having an annuity, but don't have any idea why he would have one of those.

Alison

Alison Report 11 Apr 2008 14:45

Hi Sally

Annuitant -
A person who is entitled to receive benefits from an annuity.

Cant help you as to why he had one though!

Alison x

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2008 14:50

Hi Sally
A Annuitant is a person entitled to receive benefits from a annuity. So maybe money was put into a trust so he could be looked after. If so he was lucky as i think a lot of lunatics ended up in the workhouse or worse.
Julie

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Apr 2008 15:23

He could have been left money in a will? or part of a settlement which could have paid either monthly/quaterly/yearly......or from any let proprety he could have had,,,,?

SallyF

SallyF Report 11 Apr 2008 15:24

Thanks for that Alison and Julie.
I thought he must for some reason be getting a payment like that. At the time of the 1881 census he was living with his sister and her husband and family, so I think he probably was quite lucky. Although I guess him having a regular income may have helped them decide to look after him. I also guess his lunacy wasn't too bad. I can't trace him after the 1881 census so I guess he died between 1881 and 1891.

SallyF

SallyF Report 11 Apr 2008 15:25

Kay I don't think he was a property owner at any time. I did wonder if his condition was caused by some sort of accident that someone felt they should pay for in the form of an annuity.