Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

worst transcription ever?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 11 Apr 2008 16:38

Hi,
I've joined in before on this subject, but this is a classic....
Looking for a lost one I resorted to putting in just his intials on Ancestry, census 1841 and spotted

'Heny L Eshauge Stylianou L Eshemge' as some chap's name!

I was so curious I looked him up on "real image".
It actually says 'Henry' with the 'ry' tiny (not uncommon as an abbreviation in those days) and the full note is:

'Henry L'Estrange styling himself L'Estrange Esq' - at least to my eyes!!
Pity anyone looking for him under the correct spelling.........
Worse ones anyone??????

Petrina

Germaine

Germaine Report 11 Apr 2008 17:11

Oh there are some classics aren't there .
Think one of the worst I had when someone asked if I had a Reber Leadbetter in my tree no never came across that one.
Turns out it was Peter. Leah was Lech Thms Wes and Eccles Cecles.
First one to come to mind.
Germaine
x

Carter

Carter Report 11 Apr 2008 17:20

On the 1851 census
Ralph Aspinalls name has been wrongly transcribed as Naych Lopinall - no wonder i couldnt find him
linda x

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 11 Apr 2008 17:27

Sometimes wonder if the transcriber is having a bad day!
Petrina

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 11 Apr 2008 17:40

I understand the transcribers have to put what it looks like, but come on.......who in their right mind would think someone was named Naych Lopinall!!!!

Potty

Potty Report 11 Apr 2008 19:32

To submit a correction on Ancestry, click on Comments and Corrections. They are done quite quickly now. At one time they took ages before they appeared. They also email you to thank you.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Apr 2008 20:36

My favourite is a baby called Wetfred Grimshaw (should have been W Alfred).

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 11 Apr 2008 20:54

According to the transcribers my grandma's uncle married a Sailor (Sarah as sure as eggs is eggs), while another ancestor had a daughter Roulty (Rosetta)

The classic though, is an ancestor's brother Thothphanes (Thomas Henry).

David

unsub

unsub Report 11 Apr 2008 21:06

I once found an Edgar v Edwin Bosser - rel to head Father in law, aged 66.

I found it a strange name so looked at the image and as clear as day actually saw............
Edgar & Edwin Prosser, twins both aged 6.

xx

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Apr 2008 21:31

My favourite was an occupation of "Rope & Swine Spinner" - so now I know why pigs have curly tails.

Llamedos

Llamedos Report 11 Apr 2008 21:36

TRY searching for a ROBERT GOODWIN in 1881 census born 1829 at Maidstone, Kent - residing Paddington, London..........a very large family' consisting of occupations of International Playboy' and 'Ponce' Birthplaces from Timbuktu to Afganistan.....have a good laugh!

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 11 Apr 2008 21:44

Although not a mistranscription I noticed an amusing entry at the end of a district of Little Coggeshall. Essex in 1861 -

In a shed - 1 man - marital status unknown - aged 25 - occupation unknown - birthplace unknown.

It amazes me if all that was unknown about him, but they were pretty sure on his age!

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Apr 2008 22:20

I'd been having trouble finding some of 'my' lot on the 1891 census.
When we finally found them they had been badly mistranscribed!

The family were supposed to be Albert and Matilda Winbow and their children Albert,Matilda and Charles....

They were transcribed as Elizabeth and Gladiola Hevenor and their children Eller E,Mosella and their youngest son Elizabeth!

Had such a laugh when we found them,although,to be fair,the image is very faint....the transcriber did the best they could.
It's only because I know what the image says that I can read it fairly easily.

Sandra.
xxx

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Apr 2008 06:10

Myu wife's grandmother appears on the 1901 census with the name of "Beval".

Her name was Norah.....!

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 Apr 2008 08:52

my gg/grandfather his name was Francis but was transcribed as Manncis

Margaret