Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manchester County Records Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandbach99

sandbach99 Report 11 Apr 2008 17:29

My local paper has an article regarding the above office.
From April they will hold the full range of general register office indexes on microfiche including
BMD1837-2006, provisional data for births and deaths for 2007, civil partnerships 2005-2007, overseas index for BMD 1761-2006, adopted childrens index 1927-2007.
There are going to be 5 regional centres, but doesn't name the others.

Saves having to go to London
Phone 0161 832 5284 to book microfiche

Sorry if this has already been posted

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 17:49

Thanks Vera, I hadn't seen it elsewhere.

My bets - Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham, Cardiff and somewhere in the SE?

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 11 Apr 2008 17:50

Thats great news ....lets hope one of the regional centres is here down south......Portsmouth or Brighton would be good for me.

Nicky

sandbach99

sandbach99 Report 11 Apr 2008 21:52

IIf you ring the Manchester number above they maybe able to say where the other offices are going and when they are opening.

Does anyone know whereabouts the Greater Manchester County Records office is, the article doesn't give an address.

Sam

Sam Report 11 Apr 2008 21:55

56 Marshall Street
New Cross
Manchester M4 5FU
England

Tel +44 (0)161 832 5284
Fax +44 (0)161 839 3808

The other offices are also mentioned on their website:

Following the closure of the Family Records Centre in London on 15th March, we are delighted to announce that Greater Manchester County Record Office will be making several important family history resources available in the North West for the first time. The Record Office is one of just five centres to offer this new service, the others being in Birmingham, Bridgend, Plymouth and at the National Archives in London.

Sam x

Neil

Neil Report 11 Apr 2008 21:58

beaten to it!

sandbach99

sandbach99 Report 12 Apr 2008 11:35

nn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Apr 2008 12:18

Its happening in about 5 main ROffices round the country including Wales..........later 2008 its access is hoped will be avaliable in smaller main libraries throughout,,,,,,,,,,,