Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Streets in London esp. Islington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 11 Apr 2008 22:16

What's the best way to find where streets that no longer exist are? I know there are old maps available but are these indexed or do you literally have to go through and 'look for a needle in a haystack'?!

I am looking for where Palmerston Road in Tollington, Islington was if anyone knows this specifically.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 11 Apr 2008 22:34

Palmerston Road is in N6 right near Kilburn Station...check on multimap it's still there.

Angela

Angela Report 14 Apr 2008 04:38

Thanks but actually that's not the right Palmerston Road, the one you mention is NW6 and in Camden borough - unless the boundaries have really changed it's at least 3 miles from the current boundary of Islington.

Tollington is still a ward in the borough of Islington to the north of Finsbury Park but having checked on the Islington borough website the street is definetely not there anymore. I am curious to find where it was because my great grandfather was born there - much further away from the east end than we thought.

kirstinruth

kirstinruth Report 14 Apr 2008 05:31

If you check on the census images you can find the names of the surrounding roads - some of which may still be there so you can narrow it down that way.

If you let me know which year the road existed I can have a look for you.

Ruth

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Apr 2008 08:20

I went to the GUildhall Library ans asked for help to find Swan Street in the Minories. They produced an old map and it was on the map. It isn't there anymore but maps are available in the libraries that go back quite a long way

Willow

Willow Report 14 Apr 2008 09:46

There is greenwoods map of 1827

http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/

If you click on place names you can select the area you are interested in and it will show the the correct square on the map.

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 14 Apr 2008 10:17

Angela
I've sent you a PM

MB

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 14 Apr 2008 15:39

Palmerston Road also appears on the Charles Booth Online Archives (dating from 1886 to 1903) - there is an old map plus current map side by side - plus there are notes from his Notebook.

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/

click on "Search the catalogue of original survey notebooks" and type in the name of the road you want to find. When it asks what format you want to display the info - opt for Jpeg.

Regards

Athena