Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i do wish people would say thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 11 Apr 2008 22:26

if i receive a message i always try to give a friendly reply whether or not they are any relation, and if i get some useful information i send a thank you message.
I feel let down if I do some research , send it off and dont even get an acknowledgment, lastest was someone who sent me a collection of to him unrelated names which i was able to link together. sent reply off and not a peep out of him.

had a bad day at work so feel like a grumble tonight

Sue

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Apr 2008 22:35

I sent one member 18 images, Army records from Ancestry, and never got a thank you.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 11 Apr 2008 22:37

Sorry to hear you feel let down Sue.... there could be a number of reasons why you hav`nt heard back from your new contact,.....they could be away,,,,computor not working.....been taken ill....gone on holiday......or simply that many people are not like me who visit this site daily and only come online occasionly....hope fully you`ll hear from your new contact soon...I know what its like, I sometimes have to remind myself that not everyone is as obsessive about this hobby as I am....... bad day at work...simple remedy.... a large glass of wine and/or a big slab of Chocolate......and look on the bright side ..if today was bad tommorow can only be better.....

Nicky

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2008 22:38

I remember that one, GB........

There are numerous threads on the boards at the moment where info has been found, but the ones who asked for it haven't the manners to acknowledge the help given...........

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 11 Apr 2008 22:51

nice idea nicky, but as I`m working tomorrow a cup of tea and a cream doughnut will have to do, brought to my pc by the long suffering other half,

Sue

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 11 Apr 2008 22:58

Oh Sue.....tea and Doughnut sounds great as well.........my OH has just bought me a cuppa ......no doughnuts in the house so I can`t join you....lol.

Nicky

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 11 Apr 2008 23:18

the really daft thing is this guy is no relation to me, I just felt sorry for him as he seemed confused and i enjoy doing the research anyway, so i put the bits of his jigsaw together for him.

doughnut was very nice.

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 Apr 2008 00:35

It isn't just on here.

I live in one of the areas where some of my ancestors came from and occasionally come across someone whose name suggests a link.

My daughter once worked with a man who had to be a relation (rare surname in right village). He said his mother might be interested.

I did a printout of the relevant bit of tree from my offline program and stuck it all together (about 16 pages of A4 joined). I added handwritten notes and put my contact details on it. We passed on this tree (going back to about 1500) to him and never heard another word.

A phone call or note would have been nice even if the family didn't want to become friends.

Sue