Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Needed Please - Going Round in Circles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 13 Apr 2008 11:26

Please has anyone any ideas, I have got a William Roberts born in Holywell, Flintshire 1809/1810 according to every census. I have been to Flintshire Record Office and out of about 4 or 5 born from early 1800 I have narrowed it down to two being 1808 and 1809. The 1808 one was baptised on the same day and I am being drawn towards the 1809 one, being nearer in census records. My William Roberts moved and married in Manchester, got his marriage in parish records but no father named. Anyone any ideas how I can be sure that it is the 1809 one, not sure if I have searched for a death for 1808 but can only find 1809 and 1810 in the censuses. See I am getting myself mixed up now, hope you understand.

I have also got a list of all William Roberts who died Manchester 1881 to 1891 (mine was in a workhouse, last census 1881, wife Maria had died) but the nearest match up with his age makes him born 1813.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated, I have been stuck with this for months, think I need another trip to record office but not sure what other information I need

Thanks again

Marilyn

Lynne

Lynne Report 13 Apr 2008 19:04

Not sure if you have looked at the baptism record? it should give his mothers name and sometimes in the case of an illegitimate child the vicar will make a note about the father. I have a similar problem with a gt grandfather, lots of people with same name born in same year and no way of being sure with no fathers name, have to confess have given up on that line! Lynne

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 13 Apr 2008 20:33

Perhaps if you have narrowed it down to two it might be worth tracing any further details of the other one. If you can find him with parents then find a marriage for him that might eliminate him.

Good luck

Sue

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 14 Apr 2008 14:16

Sorry not checked back before now, just got in from work.

Thanks to all of you for replying,

I have got baptisms for all William Roberts born in Holywell 1800 to 1811 and as I say narrowed it down to the 1808 one or 1809, as the birth dates on the census match up nearer. With the 1808 one being baptised the same day I was thinking perhaps he was very ill or something and even could have died. Think I may have to look on this branch as a lost cause, already got two wasted certificates for him, so many have the same name, it is so frustrating, some branches just fall into place and others are a definite pain, (but such a feeling of achievement when and if it does eventually work out).

A good idea Sue to try to trace the 1808 one to eliminate him but dont know whether he stayed in Holywell or where he went from there, I will try and find a marriage in Holywell for him or a death next time I go, and search again for the parents on the censuses maybe??

Thanks again for your suggestions, will keep plodding on.

Marilyn x