Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cant look at records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michele

Michele Report 13 Apr 2008 14:21

Hi

Can anyone help I have paid to look at records, I have done the test page and the image pops up, but I cannot view a recrd every time I try it goes back to the search results, going mad can anyone help

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Apr 2008 14:23

Do you mean you have bought credits on GR to view records?

Michele

Michele Report 13 Apr 2008 14:25

yes

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Apr 2008 14:29

Sorry but I can not help you as never bought credits on this site.

It is a very expensive way of doing your research.

Perhaps another member can help.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 13 Apr 2008 15:27

Does it work if you click on "view image" instead of "view record"?

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 13 Apr 2008 19:02

Michele.....I have never purchased GR units myself, but have read many a time on here how expensive they are for the info you receive. I beilive you can purchase records from Ancestry on a pay month by month basis...which you can cancel at any time.....not sure this is exactly correct you`d need to speak to them....there is a wealth of information on Ancestry including all the Census from 1841 -1901, and all BMD`s from 1837 -2005 I belive it is about £10.00 a month or a years sub for £79.95.

www.ancestry.co.uk

Nicky

Forgot to say ...you can also sign up to Ancestry for a 14 day free trial...they need card details to do so...but as long as you cancel it before the 14 days are up they won`t take any money.

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 20:57

If it doesnt work when you click on 'View image' I suggest, before you pay money to Ancestry you contact GR and if they dont help then tell them you want your money back.
Huia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2008 04:24

You can always ask people on here to do look-ups for you ......

...... but DO NOT buy any more credits on GR

.................... it is the most expensive way to do your research!!

sylvia

lady jane

lady jane Report 14 Apr 2008 10:48

I had the same problem my computer didn,t recognised the programe that created the record and wouldn,t open any of the records I chose, I never bought any more credits from genes as they had also charged me for an extra 50 credits as there must have been something wrong with the system when I put my card details in, when I tried a while later it took charge for 2 lots, I ended up subscribing to ancestry and I have just renewed for my third year very good value.

Huia

Huia Report 14 Apr 2008 20:19

Ancestry might be fine if you dont take as gospel everything you find there. Too many errors. Check it all out elsewhere.
Huia.