Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Relation?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

unsub

unsub Report 13 Apr 2008 17:28

I am useless at working out how i am related to other people (unless it's reaaly simple like daughter, sister etc lol)

I had a phonecall from a relative yesterday-his grandfather and my great great grandfather were brothers.

So how am i related to him?

xx

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Apr 2008 17:36

I would say that the relative is a second cousin of your grandfather so a second cousin, twice removed to you, since you are 2 generations apart.

His grandfather and your gt. gt. grandfather = brothers
His father and your gt. grandfather = 1st cousins
Him and your grandfather = 2nd cousins
Him and your parent = 2nd cousins, once removed
Him and you = 2nd cousins, twice removed

unsub

unsub Report 13 Apr 2008 18:45

Thank you.

xx

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 13 Apr 2008 19:43

2nd cousins twice removed

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 20:48

I agree that he is 2nd cousin twice removed.
Huia.

Julie

Julie Report 13 Apr 2008 20:59

According to this site it's First Cousin Twice Removed

http://www.mormonhaven.com/relchart.htm

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 21:27

Julie, you did not go back to the Common Ancestor.
To check, I draw up my own chart.
SBs 3xgt = (Common)= Rels gt gf
2xgt > (brothers) 1st cousins 2nd cousins 2nd once removed
SB > 2nd twice removed

Sorry, it does not want to do it in neat columns as I have it. Edited with arrows.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 21:38

Well, Elva, I took it back to the common ancestor (SBs 3xgtgrandfather and her relatives gtgrandfather) and looked at the chart Julie gave and it made it 2nd cousin twice removed (column 6 intersecting with row4). That is what I insist on calling it. But I will look at your website now.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 21:44

No, your website is too complex. I couldnt see how to use it. Tried clicking on buttons, but just didnt work for me. The chart is much easier if you remember to take them back to the common ancestor. Or draw up your own line-of-descent as I do.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 13 Apr 2008 21:52

Other people should take note, if you want to know how you are related, make sure you state the common ancestor, otherwise you will get different replies. SB should have said that the relatives gt grandfather was her 3x gt grandfather, then we would not have become confused.
Huia.

unsub

unsub Report 14 Apr 2008 11:05

Thanks everyone. Sorry i didn't check back sooner - got distracted by the Masters.

Sorry Huia for the confusion - i realise now i should've worded it the way you suggest - i just get so confused with who is who!!

Thanks for all your help guys.

xx

Huia

Huia Report 14 Apr 2008 20:22

I am not criticising you, SB, just pointing out that it is less confusing for others, as witness the different replies you got.
Huia.