Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing an individual through the house he lived i

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Apr 2008 18:45

I know that my family lived in Swan Street, Minories, London as early as 1794 and that they were in the same street as late as 1856. I have seen the 1841 and 1851 census that shows them there, however, the man I am interested in died in 1794 and I cannot find anything about where he came from or who his parents were. I know he was living in Swan Street because his widow applied for a Trinity House pension for her and her children. He may have died at sea though. He is called Capt. Hugh Munro of Aldgate (Transport Services, sailing out of the Thames) and his wife was Elizabeth. The children were John Thomas, Jennet and Isabella. Does anyone have an idea if there is any information or database available to look through that will tell me anything about who bought the house or leased the house or anything about the occupants at all? I've tried so many different approaches to trace Hugh Munro circa 1740 that I'm now trying to look at the place where I know he or at least his family lived.

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 13 Apr 2008 19:00

Have you googled? There is a mention of him(I assume) in the Cameron Highlanders, injured 1794.

Suzanne

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Apr 2008 20:38

Thanks SUzanne. I don't think it was him though. he was a sailor -started in the Royal Navy as a midshipman and then became a Captain of the Transport Service sailing out of the Thames. Hugh was quite a common name for the Munro family at the time. Thanks anyway (yes, I've googled him till I'm blue in the face!)