Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Siblings on FamilySearch.org

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellie

Ellie Report 14 Apr 2008 12:37

I know there is a way of finding siblings of people baptised on FamilySearch.org, I just can't remember how. I know there are people on here who are at whizz at this kind of thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did have a search through the Tips Board as I know I've read it here before, but couldn't find it.

I've found the baptism record for an Arthur Sheldon on 30th December 1847, with parents as Thomas and Elizabeth. This all matches up with what I know already, but want to see if Arthur had any siblings, as I haven't been able to find any census returns with the family on.

Many thanks in advance.

Ellie

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 14 Apr 2008 12:43

You can search the IGI records for siblings:

by just entering the Father's and Mother's names and then completing the 'Region' section.

If that doesn't show up anything then try again but alter the Mother's names to show just her Christian name.

Beware though that if the Surname is very common, you could get loads of others too....not neccessarily yours..but always worth trying.

Ellie

Ellie Report 14 Apr 2008 12:47

Thanks Teresa, I'll give that a go.

I was sure it was something to do with the Source Call or Batch No. though!

Ellie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Apr 2008 12:50

Go back to the record you have found..........

If it is 'extracted'...there will be a batch number at the bottom left hand side.

Click on the batch number......in the new 'window', enter the surname...plus the forenames of the parents (to the right of the surname) Click 'search'............any children with same parents' names in that batch will show up.

No 100% guarantee that they are siblings.........has to be cross-checked with censuses...but the chances are good.

Reg

Ellie

Ellie Report 14 Apr 2008 12:57

Thanks, Reggie and Judith.

I have come up with a possible sister, Sophia.

However, I've now realised that the date of baptism for Arthur is 4 months before the date I previously had for his birth, so I must double check I've actually got the right family!

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Ellie

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 14 Apr 2008 13:25

Hi Judith
The LDS has been known to be wrong! Mistranscription. If you typing numbers easily done.
But where have you got YOUR birthdate from, birth cert? if its from the census could be out by a year especially on the 1841.
It would be handy if you take note of the census nights dates, as they were taken different times of the year. That could make a big difference in an age put down.
THe other thing is if you look at the original parish records you may have two or three children that were christened on the same day.
Or they were christened a lot later for what ever reason.
I have even seen adult christenings.
The other is that there are in fact 2 children with the same name, the first child died and they renamed a subsequent child with the same name to perpetuate
the name.
That is quite common.

Regards Carol

Ivy

Ivy Report 14 Apr 2008 18:06

Carol's right. In this case, though, it looks as if these are December baptisms where the birth has been registered within the six weeks allowed, so that the birth registration falls in the Jan-Mar qtr (often transcribed as March) - this might account for it?

Ivy

Ivy Report 14 Apr 2008 18:08

This may be the 1851 census family - both births are reg'd in the Ashbourne district:

Name: Sophia Sheldon
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Wyaston, Derbyshire, England

Civil Parish: Wyaston
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Ashborne
Sub-registration district: Brailsford
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 28
Household Members: Name Age
Arther Sheldon 3
Elizabeth Sheldon 38
Sophia Sheldon 6
Thomas Sheldon 43

[Edit: The enumerator has described the Wyaston enumeration district as falling within the Edlaston parish]

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 16 Apr 2008 08:51

Can't remember exactly when, but the year start was changed from Lady Day (end of March) to January 1. Copies of entries under the "old system" often carry a double year, such as 6 January 1601/2, giving the year under both systems.