Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help neaded please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 14 Apr 2008 13:38

Can someone please tell me where i can find inquest papers one 1901 West Ham the other is 1885 Shoreditch i am in Essex
I do know about looking in the old newspapers but hopefully i would like copys of inquest

Also i would like info on police in West Ham in about 1899 where would these records be held

thankyou
sue

Tiger Lil

Tiger Lil Report 14 Apr 2008 14:13

Sue,

You can google to try to find the appropriate coroner's office that covers West Ham, but in my experience, inquest papers are rarely kept.

The death certificates may give the name of the coroner and the address of the coroner's office (mine did) as these are usually prepared after the report has been received from the coroner' who then officially notifies the death. You can then contact them to see if they have the papers still.

I have only been able to find newspaper reports for the inquests on two members of my family, both in the early 1900s.

Good luck

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 18 Apr 2008 01:54

Tiger Lil

Could you please tell me where you were able to find newspaper reports for inquests from the early 1900s.

I had a family member who died in an accident as a child in 1934 and would be interested in finding any newspaper report on the incident or of the inquest.

Thanks.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 18 Apr 2008 08:45

The newspapers have usually been filmed and are kept at the main library for the area, not the records office where you look for parish records. Google for the library service for the town concerned, then look for the nearest library with the family history section. they will list which records they keep.
If you can't go in person, they usually offer a search service and will send you photocopies of the papers.
It doesn't cost much as you know the date of the inquest, so they don't need to search for very long

Linda

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 18 Apr 2008 12:08

Thanks for the information Linda. I am in Canada so would have to do it on-line.

Tiger Lil

Tiger Lil Report 18 Apr 2008 12:35

Hi Moonbeam,

Linda is right. I got my copies from Swansea library. They have references to the local newspapers on-line although it didn't go up to the date I needed. I e-mailed them and for a fee (£12) they searched the papers and sent me two inquest reports. The fee covered a 30 minute search.

I did it all on-line although I did have to send them a cheque to cover the fee.

Good luck.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 18 Apr 2008 20:19

Hi Tiger Lil

Thanks for your reply. I will try searching the local library where the accident happened also the area where my family was living.

Just while I was reading your reply I had a flashback to my childhood and can remember seeing a newspaper clipping that my parents had kept so I will first of all try to contact family members in the U.K. to see if it is still around somewhere.