Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ivory Turners/Cabinet Makers ... a little help, pl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Southern Jo

Southern Jo Report 14 Apr 2008 15:47

Hello all, I have a little question for you...
I am after a particular relative who is listed on his son's marriage certificate of 1850 as an ivory turner....
I've scoured the census records for someone with this name and trade, to no avail, BUT, in the 1851 census (6 mths later) I have found someone with the same name and place, etc, calling themselves a cabinet maker. So, here is the question, for anyone who knows about Victorian trades ...... is it feasible that someone who worked as an ivory turner may have been working in the cabinet-making trade? Would a cabinet maker maybe have used ivory? Is there enough similarity in these trades for it to warrant at least researching this chap a bit farther, or am I barking totally up the wrong tree?
Any advice very welcome - thought I had this line sewn up, but grr, today's marriage certificate put the cat amongst the pigeons!
Thanks all
Jo

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Apr 2008 15:50

Both are skilled crafts and ivory was often used to in-lay designs on furniture.

I think it's quite possible that this is the same person.

Gwyn

David Hopgood

David Hopgood Report 14 Apr 2008 16:33

We have a relative who was a cabinet and piano maker. Ivory keys need turning.....
Elizabeth

Richard

Richard Report 14 Apr 2008 18:36

It's possible. From my own family experience in the area of Bethnal Green where my relatives lived, the populace were mostly silk weavers, ivory bone turners, cabinet makers, chair makers, and boot closers. Generally it was a sliding scale with boot closers and chair makers at the bottom, living in the worst semi criminal areas, the silk weavers and bone turners a step up, cabinet makers in between somewhere..BUT they all lived in extreme poverty nevertheless. An ivory turner was skilled, but if there was no work about, may well have turned to one of the other 'standard' local trades if it was doing better, and has been pointed out there are feasible overlaps between the two trades so not a giant leap.

Southern Jo

Southern Jo Report 14 Apr 2008 20:25

Thanks for you help, all, that has been helpful. I'll give this other chap a go, and see what I can find out about him. Hopefully he will be one of mine!

Jo

Heather

Heather Report 14 Apr 2008 23:16

I have to say that a cabinet maker was a skilled job and one which required an apprenticeship, so you may find info re your chap in that way.

My ancestors were variously entered as cabinet makers or turners - so Id have thought you are very likely looking at the same man in those records.