Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who is Rose Ellen Stotter?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 14 Apr 2008 19:06

She married Alfred Peters in 1909 in Fulham and has three children, b 1913, 1915 and 1920.
I thought I had her in the 1891 census as Rosie E Stotter living with Jane Whatman and b Hastings, however further investigation shows that this Rosie is actually Rose Ellen Potten b Hastings 1877 who appears to have married in 1900 altho she is with Jane in 1901 shown as single....I have totally confused myself!!
Don't have marriage cert - but I really would like to locate her!!

Peter

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Apr 2008 19:15

If you buy the marriage certificate it will give you her approximate age and also hopefully her father's name and occupation which will help with finding them on the census.

Kath. x

K

K Report 14 Apr 2008 19:22

I agree - without the marraige cert it is only speculation. However I do wonder if the census enumerater mistook Stotter for Potter

JackieinEssex

JackieinEssex Report 14 Apr 2008 19:24

Think you might need the mariage certificate to get her age and father's name to be sure who she is

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 14 Apr 2008 19:24

I can't find a birth registered for Rose Ellen Stotter

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 14 Apr 2008 20:02

I can't find the birth either - that's the problem. It may have to go on the long list of certs I need - Alfred is my great uncle so a bit off the direct line. I think the next line of attack may be to trawl, looking for a death - or wait for the 1911 census.

Peter

Peter

Huia

Huia Report 14 Apr 2008 20:26

Did you get the names from the original or from transcripts? There are a lot of mistakes made in transcripts.
Huia.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Apr 2008 20:38

heres the Gro ref for the marriage

Marriages Jun 1909

PETERS Alfred Henry Fulham 1a 618
STOTTER Rose Ellen Fulham 1a 618

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Apr 2008 20:43

surely she didnt marry at aged 14 . is this possible??

Births Jun 1895

Stotter Rose Elizabeth Lambeth 1d 545

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Apr 2008 20:45

probably not !!see that one was Rose Elizabeth not Ellen

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 14 Apr 2008 20:51

At least Lambeth is in the right city!!
All three births give mmn as Stotter as does the Marriage - can't be mistranscribed 4 times, can it?
I have a 1875 marriage in Hastings for Fred Potten and Betsy Whatman, so that further rules out the Rosie E.
Something suspicious about this.
Off to work (in New Zealand) so can only check intermittently for the next 8 hours!!!!)

Peter

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 Apr 2008 21:01

Peter,

You defrinitely need the marriage certificate. If will not only give you age and father's name but also an address which you may be able to use for a search on the 1901 census and witnesses who could be siblings.

This is your next step.

Good Luck

Jane

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2008 04:50

could Stotter have been from a previous marriage, hence why you cannot find her on a census or a birth for her?

You have to buy that marriage certificate ... there is no way round it!!

It will tell you whether Stotter is really her maiden name or from a previous marriage.

The certificate will cost £7 from www.gro.gov.uk ............... but until you buy it, it is like looking for a black cat in a coal celllar!!!

sylvia

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Apr 2008 06:03

The 3 births list Stotter as the maiden name.

Rose

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 15 Apr 2008 21:44

Thanks - looks like the certificate route - will add it to my long list of needs - the idea of a second marriage is a good one - I think!!

Thanks anyway

Peter