Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any ideas please - Nan's name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Always stressed!

Always stressed! Report 15 Apr 2008 07:30

For years my nan was known as Edith Florence Salmon. She was born 1895.

My cousin has just discovered her marriage certificate and a birth certificate for one of her children and she is on both as Edith Susie!

No record of Edith Susie at all only Edith Florence born 1895. On 1901 census is down as Edith with no mention of middle name.

Can only find Edith Florence born 1895. Any ideas please? Thanks Pam.

Penny

Penny Report 15 Apr 2008 07:41

was Salmon her married or nee name?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Apr 2008 10:38

One of my relatives was registered at birth as Silvey, ...but her death shows her as Jane.
In between she was Jane Sylvia / Sylvia Jane, or just Jane on one of her children's birth certs.
If you are sure you have the right person just make a note of the different sightings of the various names by which she was known.

Gwyn

Always stressed!

Always stressed! Report 15 Apr 2008 11:05

Bit more light on the situation......

Phoned my mum and asked her if she knew what was going on.

Apparently it all came to light when nan got her pension.

My mum's birth certificate says Edith Susie too!

She is Edith Florence. She also had two birthdays in April! One on the 10th and on on the 29th!

Looks like no one took much notice of legality in those days.

Perhaps decided to take Susie as liked it? Who knows.

Going to get birth certificate anyway.

Thanks for replies.

Pam.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Apr 2008 12:11

I wonder if Nan's 2 birthdays mean that her birth was perhaps registered outside the limited number of days, so the birthdate was 'adjusted' to fit the required timescale.

This happened to a friend's father.
He was christened before he was 'born' !

Gwyn

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 15 Apr 2008 12:16

My great grandmother added her middle name.....She is just Ruth on her birt cert. and baptism record....but on her marriage and death certs. she is Ruth Campbell..... Campbell was her mothers and eldest sisters middle name, so I presume she just liked it and addedd it on to hers.

Nicky