Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free Look-ups - Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Berniberns

Berniberns Report 15 Apr 2008 12:25

Hi All,

Discovered my local library (Aberdeen Central) has free access to Ancestry - Library Edition. Includes access to census info, military records, BMD's, directories, newspapers & periodicals, photos, maps, etc...etc...

Would have thought other libraries have access to this site as well - for those out there without a personal computer and/or a limited budget.

As I find the info I want on the site, I just save it onto my memory stick, & also email it to myself as a precautionary measure!

Regards,

Bernis

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 15 Apr 2008 12:32

Bromley Libraries also offer this service. but croydon which is 5 mins down the road does not. pot luck i guess.

Lee..x

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 15 Apr 2008 15:28

hi there folks,
Most library's i think offer this service. Mine in Grimsby does, you have the first half hour free and then 50p for every other. They are also very helpful in there too and can find most things.
Ally x

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 15 Apr 2008 15:45

This is how I started my treeing but it got a bit impractical after a while.

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 15 Apr 2008 20:43

my library in devon gives the first hour free

Neil

Neil Report 15 Apr 2008 21:55

Cardiff Libraries do too

Huia

Huia Report 16 Apr 2008 05:04

Here in New Zealand our local library also has it, I used it once, but not over impressed with Ancestry.
Huia.