Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible father's name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 15 Apr 2008 14:48

I have a baptism which took place on 24 Dec 1775. The child is baptised as John Bourne or Shrigley, his mother is Martha Bourne and there is no father listed, John is recorded as illegitimate.

Do you think the Shrigley name could be that of his father? I can't think of any other reason why he could be 'Bourne or Shrigley'. He in fact used it as his middle name and also named his son John Shrigley Bourne (the Shrigley middle name was carried down right until the 1900's).

Thanks
Sam x

Alison

Alison Report 15 Apr 2008 14:57

Either his father or some names were added as middle names or Christian names in order to carry down a grandmother's maiden name. It's an early baptism, have a look on the LDS site for the name Shrigley, see if you can get any clues. Try putting in a marriage between a Bourne and a Shrigley.

Alison

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 15 Apr 2008 14:58

Maybe your best bet is to check the local parish records for a bastardy bond

Sam

Sam Report 15 Apr 2008 15:04

I've tried the IGI, there is no marriage. I've tried the original parish records as well, there is just the baptism above that is also on the IGI.

Devon, whereabout would bastardy bonds be kept?

Sam x

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 15 Apr 2008 15:07

Some are listed on the National Archives but the local records office to where Martha lived is the best place.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Apr 2008 22:37

Worth checking to see if Martha married a Shrigley later.......some of mine married after the child was born.

Also worth looking to see if there is a man called Shrigley living close and born roughly the same time as Martha.

Sounds very likely that the child was a son of a Shrigley. When I've seen similar situations for illegitimate children the middle name has been the father.

If a surname is used as a middle one for a legitimate child in my family it is usually the mother or a grandmother's maiden name.

Sue