Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how many certificates do you hold?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 15 Apr 2008 21:25

i keep a folder one for births, one for marriages and one for deaths. i only have about 20, i was wondering how many peolpe have.

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 15 Apr 2008 21:28

24 including 6 originals dating back over 120 years

Kirsty

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 15 Apr 2008 21:31

Am not going to count because I will then multiply by the £7.00 a time.............and it's too near bedtime - I want sweet dreams not nightmares.

xxx

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 15 Apr 2008 21:32

lol:)
how did you manage to get hold of originals. did you put then in your pocket!

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 15 Apr 2008 21:35

my grandad had kept them safe including his sister's husbad's first marriage cert. my Gran's parents birth, marriage & death cert for each of them. Only found them this year after he died and my gran was going to throw them away........some people!!!!!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 15 Apr 2008 22:07

I have a folder for each family unit which contains census details bmd's and any other information.
I dread to think how much all the certificates cost so like Lyndi Im not counting lol

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 15 Apr 2008 23:49

definately not counting, but I know I sent my cousin copies of 35 certs a couple of weeks ago and that's just the side of the family we share :(

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 16 Apr 2008 00:01

I have a sickening 186 certs...

24 are originals - including my own birth cert lol.

10 of which are ones I have not bought but have been shared by other relations - so I have scanned copies of them.

Not to mention about 5-6 wrong certificates!!

But that covers 5 years of research - my family (so my mother and fathers sides) and my partners family (his mother and father's sides - aswell as father's birth mother's side too.)

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 16 Apr 2008 01:09

Thats the only thing if you count them it hits you how much you have spent ;;;

Babs

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 16 Apr 2008 12:47

120 last time I counted and that was back in March of last year...have purchased loads of others since!

It's too shocking to work out how much I have spent on certificates in 4 years but I have received photo copies of some originals from Irish relatives too which helped me enormously.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 16 Apr 2008 20:58

Oh Mrs Tibbett and Theresa - I feel better now lol.
I received a certificate today, and as I filed it, remembering this thread I counted them all - and wished I hadn't.

There were 70.
Plus 10 that weren't who I thought but might fit later.
Plus six from Scotland (got them from scotlandspeople and they were £10 each!!!!!)

Scary stuff.

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 16 Apr 2008 21:12

just had a count of some of mine 207 i think there is more somewhere in the house ..

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Apr 2008 21:17

I have a friend who has literally hundreds.
She is doing a one-name study though.

As she says, as long as the surname is correct, she never has a 'wrong' certificate because each one tells her something about one of the mini family groups.

Gwyn

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 16 Apr 2008 21:22

wow, im impressed by everyone, and jealous!
i acually have 35, two more arrived in the post today, it felt like christmas. i was so excited, i was getting heart fluters! x

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Apr 2008 01:03

I have about 40 now......and a big long "wish" list that I chip away at slowly...it`d be lovely to have all the ones I want/need...but actually just ordering 1 or 2 at a time, means I go through that marvellous time of anticipation/watching for the postman/and the heart flutters that Pearl describes above, every few weeks...definetly one of the best bits of this hobby...getting the certs.

Nicky

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 17 Apr 2008 02:10

Oh dear Pearl...I wish you hadn't asked the question lol...I had to do a count...170...worth every penny!!

I still have an ever growing list of "I need to get".

I never tire of the anticipation of receiving a new cert and woe be tide our old postman if he doesn't deliver on time lol...so much so...he started looking up his own family history LOL !!

Linda