Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Churches/hospital records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 16 Apr 2008 09:33

The death cert of my possible great grandfather, was issued by the coroner and therefore gave me no family names to use to prove he was "mine" I managed to get photocopies of the newspaper report, but they gave the same info as the coroner....his name, the date, and what happened.

I have been given the advise that the church burial records may help, but need to find which church. I also have the name of the hospital where he died, would they still have records archived?

Any pointers gratefully received

Kathlyn

Sam

Sam Report 16 Apr 2008 09:41

When and where did he die? Hospital records may still be 'closed'. Burial records may not be useful either, depending when he died he could have been buried in a municipal cemetery rather than a graveyard, the records don;t usually record family members.

Sam x

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 16 Apr 2008 09:44

Hi Sam,

And I wonder why I am going grey!!!!

He died in the Royal Liverpool Infirmary in 1884

Kathlyn

Sam

Sam Report 16 Apr 2008 09:51

You probably could get the hospital records from that period, according to the National Archives webiste, Liverpool Records Office hold the records although I'm not sure they cover what you want:

Record type Date range

Administrative 1749 - 1983
General 1749 - 1978
Finance 1848 - 1932
Estates 1890 - 1930
Nursing 1862 - 1983
Admission & Discharge 1900 - 1968
Staff 1789 - 1972
Ephemera 1821 - 1978
Pictorial 1862 - 1970
Other 1926 - 1978
Clinical & Patients 1903 - 1979

There seem to be an awful lot of cemeteries in Liverpool, he will probably have been buried in the one nearest home or where the rest of the family were buried. You could try google, some of the records amy be available online.

UPDATE: There is some info re Liverpool cemeteries here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hibernia/bur/lvcem.htm
some appear to have searchable databases.

Sam x

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 16 Apr 2008 10:08

Sam,

Many thanks for that info. I will give them a try, well I have nothing else to do as I do not do...washing ironing cooking cleaning shopping, I have a husband do do that lol lol .....shhhhhhh, just in case he heard the last comment.

Thanks again

kathlyn