Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gunpowder works, Gatebeck.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 16 Apr 2008 11:09

a few days ago I asked about Gatebeck in Westmoreland, i now have the death cert for husbands ancestor, John Mullet, which says he died in an accidental explosion at Gatebeck gunpowder works have survived 25 days, poor man.
the cert says inquest held by westmoreland coroner on 5th july 1877, and i am now wondering where i could get a copy of the report.
I`ve searched A to A, and kendal records office for his name and for inquest reports - nothing
i googled westmoreland newspapers - nothing
i suspect there were quite a few inquests, as i found there were several gunpowder works in the area. so maybe they were not considered newsworthy.
I`m in Devon so a personal search is not possible,
can anyone suggest where the inquest records might be held, assuming they still exist of course.

Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Apr 2008 11:59

These are the contact details for Kendal Library (which is the largest town I can find to Gateback). They should keep back copies of newspapers on microfilm. If you have the exact date of the death then inquests were usually held and reported on within a few days of the death so the library staff may do a look up for you:-

Kendal Library
Stricklandgate
Kendal
LA9 4PY
Tel:(01539) 773520
Fax:(01539) 773544
Email:[email protected]

Kath. x

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 16 Apr 2008 13:08

Thanks Kath

I`ll send them an email.

Sue

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 16 Apr 2008 18:58

Thanks Marion,

been in the garden all afternoon,
i`ll try them as well.
inquest reports can be very interesting so I would love to get hold of it if i could, hope that doesnt sound too ghoulish.

Sue.

Leclerc

Leclerc Report 16 Apr 2008 19:11

You might try the local newspaper, they've been around for donkeys years founded well before the accident, they might have something in their archives

L

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/aboutus/gazettehistory/

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 16 Apr 2008 20:58

Tania

It would be great if you could get any info.

details from dearth cert are
Name John Mullet, worked at Gatebeck Gunpowder works, he died 26 June 1877, cert says he survived 25 days so the explosion must have been about 1 june 1877.
The coroner`s inquest was on 5 July 1877.

Sue

Sue in Devon

Sue in Devon Report 22 Apr 2008 20:35

as a sad postscript to this, I have just received the birth cert for his daughter Ellen, who was born 2nd June ie same day as explosion. we`ll never know if he was distracted by events at home.
Wife was left with 4 young daughters, 1 went to live with uncle`s family to lancashire and she returned to Dorset with the other 3. It doesnt appear that they were ever all together again.

brought a tear to my eye - we do find out such tragic stories went we delve into the past

Sue