Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2 places on same census night

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

andy-r

andy-r Report 16 Apr 2008 22:53

How is it possible for one person to be in 2 different places on the same census night? I have a Seaman relitive who was either at sea or in a foreign port and at his father's house on the same night.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Apr 2008 22:57

Quite easy.........and by no means unusual

I have a child on one who was with both her grandmother and her parents; who lived some distance apart.

Richard

Richard Report 17 Apr 2008 00:20

My g-g grandmother was staying with her recently bereaved mother in 1881, but husband also put her down as being at the family home, because this was her normal adress...so she's on there twice, and heard many examples from others of similar stories, so can and certainly did happen.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Apr 2008 00:22

Snap. Child of one family is shown with family on the census night and also several streets away as a visitor at another household - with a child the same age so presume they were friends.

Huia

Huia Report 17 Apr 2008 05:31

I agree Barry. My gt gt grandfather is missing in 1841 and died before 1851.
Huia.

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 17 Apr 2008 10:52

My 2 x great grandfather was on the 1841 census twice, with his parents on one, and his girlfriend and baby on another (yes there were live-in lovers in those times, he married her the next year in 1842).

I often wondered if his parents knew about the girlfriend and baby, and he lead a double life, and the girlfriend had his name on the census, because she did not want anyone to know she was not married.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Apr 2008 12:53

Are you sure the image for the ship doesn't have "Not on Board" at the top?

I had this with my grandfather. I know from his Navy record that he was on leave at the time of the census but he is also listed under a ship BUT at the top of the image it says "Not on Board" so all the men listed where presumably also listed somewhere else.