Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificate Reading Sorted - Thanks for Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 17 Apr 2008 12:51

Please would it be possible for anyone to help reading a certificate, I have a marriage certificate for grandparents who married in Manchester, but I cannot read the parish, looks like Tocoloer in the county of Lancaster or Lancashire. Dont even think it would scan readable because the writing seems to be a bit broken up. Could do with knowing the whereabouts of the church cos these two families are so hard to find in the parish records.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Marilyn x

Potty

Potty Report 17 Apr 2008 12:58

Have you tried double checking the marriage on Lancsbmd site? They give the subregistration district. Then, if you search for the place on lancsopc site you might find the church

Diane

Diane Report 17 Apr 2008 12:59

Could it be Tockholes

Libby

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 17 Apr 2008 12:59

I googled "parishes of Manchester", the only 2 beginning T are Tetlow and Trafford. I reckon Tetlow would fit better...? any addresses for bride or groom to help?
Petrina

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Apr 2008 13:02

What date?
Was it a church wedding, if so which denomination?
It should say, ....according to the rites etc...of a church.

This might narrow the list.

Gwyn

Potty

Potty Report 17 Apr 2008 13:03

All Lancashire Parishes starting with T (from lancs-opc.org/uk)

Tarleton

Tatham

Tenters

Thornley

Thornton-in-Lonsdale

Thornton-le-Fylde

Tockholes

Todmorden

Torver

Tottington

Trawden

Tunstall

Turton

Tyldesley

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 17 Apr 2008 13:06

OOh-Tockholes looks good, Potty...?

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 17 Apr 2008 13:06

Thanks to you all for helping, another possiblity is it beginning with G, looks like it could be a capital.
Oldham Street, Boad Street, and Great Bridgewater Street are where they lived before and after marriage.

I will have another look and look on Lancs BMD and Lancs OPC It is Samuel Stirrup and Frances Hartley married 15th July 1849.

Thanks

Marilyn

Potty

Potty Report 17 Apr 2008 13:15

From lancs bmd:

STIRRUP Samuel HARTLEY Frances Eccles Parish St Mary's

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 17 Apr 2008 13:18

Thats the one Potty but the name on the certificate looks nothing like that parish, will have to search for parish around there, thanks.

Marilyn

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 17 Apr 2008 13:37

Thanks to all of you that helped, after a lot of looking for matching letters all over the certificate and help from OH it did turn out to be Eccles, although it is a very funny capital E.

Thanks again, you help was very much appreciated.

Marilyn