Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just a question...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 17 Apr 2008 18:29

Hi!
Would anybody happen to know which records I would need to search or how I would go about researching records of former post office employees, provided this is even possible?
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it!
Jackie

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Apr 2008 18:43

No its probably covered by the data protection act

Peter

Peter Report 17 Apr 2008 19:17

Jackie,

There is a postal museum and archive. You can find it by googling. Many years ago I received details from them of the career of my gt-grandfather who was a rural postman at the end of the C19th. If the records are not recent you stand a good chance of finding something out.

Peter

Jackie

Jackie Report 17 Apr 2008 19:32

Hi!
thanks, thats really helpful! We're looking at the end of the 1940s at the latest, so theres hope =)

jackie

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 17 Apr 2008 19:53

You could try looking at the online London Gazette. The Post Office was a Government Department at one stage, and the results of internal PO exmas and some promotions were announced in the London Gazette

Jim