Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry New Searching Method

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2008 21:23

Has anyone had a go at this yet? I've just tried it & I'm not to keen as I can't figure out how to use wildcards.

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Apr 2008 21:46

Where did you receive this advice?
I use wild cards all the time.
There must be at least three letters before the wild card.
EG
ste*nson will bring stevenson and stephenson

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2008 21:50

Jim Ancestry now have a new system on trial, it should be on the top right of the screen. The name search comes up as 1 box instead of 2!

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Apr 2008 21:59

Got it. I have always used this method.

Exact matches only
If you'd like to search with greater control and accuracy, you can check the box for "Exact Matches Only" near the top of the search box. By checking this box, you will only receive matches that exactly match all of the search terms you enter. To get the most out of an exact search, you should probably start with only one or two broad search criteria (e.g., a surname and a location). If you get too many results, add more criteria to narrow your search. If you get too few results, drop one or more of your search criteria to broaden your search. Continue this process until you gradually hone in on the record for which you are searching.

When searching for exact matches only, you can use wildcard searching. Wildcards are special symbols (the asterisk "*" and the question mark "?") which are used in searching to represent some number of unknown letters in a word. Wildcards can be effective search tools if you are searching for words or names with alternate spellings:

An asterisk "*" represents zero to six characters (e.g., a search for "john*" might return "john, johnson, johnsen, johnathon, johns", etc.).
Any use of the asterisk requires at least the first three letters of a name (you cannot search for "Ad*", but could use "Ada*").
A single character is represented by question mark "?" (e.g., "Sm?th" equals both "Smith" and Smyth").

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Apr 2008 22:05

Jim

It's a new search tool they are trying out but I had to sign up to try it.

At the top of the screen are two boxes, side by side, one says 'try it' and the other 'tour'. They won't appear unless you are signed up for the trail.

That's what Claire is refering to. Please correct me if i'm wrong Claire :)

Chris

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2008 22:06

I've always used the 2 box method & usually find I get the best results by using the first 3 letters of each name followed by *

I just hope this new search is in addition to the old not instead of!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2008 22:07

That's the one Chris but I didn't sign up for a trial, it just appeared!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Apr 2008 22:13

How strange Claire!

Why ask someone to sign up to test it and then make it live to anyone anyway???

I had this e.mail a couple of days ago ferom Ancestry confirming my signing up. I was beginning to think I had imagined doing so :)

Dear Chris,

You recently signed up to review the new Ancestry.com search site. We’re excited to inform you that you can now access the site. This is your chance to tell us what you think of our improved search features, what you like or don't like and what else you want to see.

Why all the improvements? For several months we’ve taken a close look at the Ancestry.com search process and asked members what issues they’ve run into when trying to find information on the site. We’ve now translated that feedback into search features we think will help you find answers more easily.

We hope you find searching on Ancestry.com easier than ever before. However, as you review the new site, keep in mind that you can switch back to the old search process by clicking on “Switch Back.” We look forward to hearing what you think.
Thank you,
The Ancestry.com Search Team.

Oh well must have a play with it :)

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Apr 2008 23:15

well .................

maybe I should throw a snit???

I don't have a trial search run box!

and the only email I've had from ancestry in the alst week has been telling me my subscription will be up soon.

sylvia

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 17 Apr 2008 23:42

All they've sent me is a couple of emails about Ancestry Aid!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Apr 2008 23:43

and what is Ancestry Aid????

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 18 Apr 2008 08:02

Sorry to take so long to reply Sylvia but as you probably guessed, I'd gone to bed. I've not really look at Ancestry Aid but here's the adddress

http://www.ancestryaid.co.uk

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2008 21:21

Mick

not with me it doesn't!!

Just tried searching on the main general search and on UK Census only

Nowhere do I get asked if I want to try the new Search option.

All I have is the usual Upgrade button.

Now, I really think I should be throwing a rant!!!

stomps off stage left

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2008 21:21

sorry Claire

thanks for that!

sylvia

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 18 Apr 2008 21:28

Sylvia it should be on the right just under your user name.
Don't bother throwing a rant, I'm finding it rubbish!!!!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2008 23:07

Hi Claire

I wanna throw a rant!!

On the right at the top, mine just says Welcome (user name) log out etc.

'Nuffin underneath it.

Bet it's just 'cos I live in Canada!

going off in a huff!!!!!!!

(actually ... going out for afternoon coffee, grocery shopping, and dinner!!!)

see you later

sylvia