Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption expert please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2008 11:56

When a person is adopted do they have to change their name? For example I have a P Cassidy (Adopted son) Adoption Family name is Gray. Would he be P Cassidy or P Cassidy Gray. or P Gray.

If I wanted to try and find out about him what name would I look under?

Thanks for your help.

Jane

Jane

Sheila

Sheila Report 18 Apr 2008 12:24

Hi Jane,

It normally depends on the age of the person adopted, if it is a baby, then the whole name tends to be changed, if the child is older sometimes the first name is kept to avoid confusion, however, I know of an 8 year old who changed her first name as well because she did not like it :O(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2008 12:24

If this was on a census, there was no formal adoption.
Sometimes a family took on a child, - maybe with a distant family connection and the said child was classed as an adopted son, keeping their birth name.

Gwyn

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2008 12:35

IT was in a newspaper article re a death/ funeral. It was a list of people who attended the funeral.. Dads name was John Gray, it was his funeral. and son P Cassidy attended the funeral.

Thanks for helping Sheila and Gwyn

Jane

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2008 12:36

I do not know anything about P. Cassidy. I think his name is Peter but I do not know for sure. The funeral took place in 1943.

Jane

Sheila

Sheila Report 18 Apr 2008 13:43

Hi Jane,

Maybe his Mother never married the Father, or she may have remarried later on and her new husband formally adopted the child , hence his surname would change....

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2008 15:34

Sheila

Thanks for helping. I have a lot of work to do with this particular line. Libby was a great help yesterday. Hopefully the person i emailed yesterday, who has links with this family, may be able to help me. Lets hope he gets back to me.

Thanks again

Jane

ann

ann Report 19 Apr 2008 09:56

The child gets registered by its natural mother in her name.Married or single.It then has to go through a court where another certificate is issured under the adoptive name. Annie

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Apr 2008 09:47

Marcus,

In UK. births a child registered to a single parent would normally be as,,

Smith---Anyone,-------------maiden name of mother-- Smith ,,,,,,could denote a single parent..at least 8 times out of 10,,,,,,,,