Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 RAF Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CLK

CLK Report 18 Apr 2008 19:30

My grandfather served in the RAF during WW2. I don't know if he is alive or not but i have his service number and can prove that i am a direct descendant through birth and marriage certificates etc although i don't know his place and date of birth, but i do know where he was living at the time of his marriage and my Dad's birth. Does anyone know if that is sufficient info for me to get a copy of his records and what info it might give me?
Thanks Claire

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Apr 2008 19:43

I think you will have to prove that he is dead before you can get access to his records. If he's still alive,then he is the one who has to apply for them.

CLK

CLK Report 18 Apr 2008 21:07

Thanks Ann, that's what I was afraid of, he'd be about 87... . so it's certainly possible although I can't find him anywhere!

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2008 21:55

Yes, I got my dads - you have to sign a declaration that he has passed on and that you are next of kin. I guess you have checked the index for possible deaths for him?
It may not give you a lot of info, but I guess something is better than nothing if you have no other source. My fathers records were a bit disappointing, they had lost a lot of it and I just had the original joining papers giving my mother as next of kin and their addresses (she was bombed out 3 times) and then a list of his postings. Not a lot else Im afraid. Id found his discharge book and that had much more information of use.