Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Different names for Joseph?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 18 Apr 2008 20:48

I have purchased a birth cert expecting the father to be joseph and the mother harriett. When it arrived mother is harriet but father is job. is job another abbreviation for joseph, like bill is for william?

Tracie.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 18 Apr 2008 20:57

Jo josh , if his father was Job he would have altered it.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 18 Apr 2008 21:10

No, Job and Joseph are two different names.

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 18 Apr 2008 21:22

oh nuts, back to the drawing board.

funny thing is my sister brought one of the siblings certs and it said job too. talk aobut coincidences., lol

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2008 21:24

so maybe the father wasn't called joseph??

OR he might have been Job Joseph (or vice versa), used Joseph in everyday life, but Job on documents?

Just a thought.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2008 21:25

could you get the marriage certificate and see who Harriett married?

Or what name Job/Joseph was using on there?

sylvia

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 18 Apr 2008 21:34

I purchased one of their sons marriage cert, then found the family on the census which is where I got his mothers name from. I have not found the marriage of his parents yet, surname is Smith. lol

Tracie

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 18 Apr 2008 21:58

The marriage cert was for a Sydney Joseph Smith who was my great grandfather. He married an Alice Nye in Tonbridge Kent in 1918. On the marriage cert his father is down as a Joseph Smith a Farm Labourer. Sydney is down as a Private for the 4th Queens Royal West something or other. lol.
Address is 9 Broadwater Down, Tunbridge Wells. Wife Alice is living at High Street Pembury.

Any help or suggestions gratfully received.

Tracie.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 18 Apr 2008 22:00

How old does it say Sydney was on the marriage cert?

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 18 Apr 2008 22:02

ohh sorry forgot that bit, he is down as 24yrs and Alice is 23, no father down for Alice.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Apr 2008 22:50

Was this the birth certificate you sent for? :-

Name: Sydney Joseph J Smith
Year of Registration: 1893
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Wellingborough
County: Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 150

or this one:-

Name: Sydney Joseph Smith
Year of Registration: 1895
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Aston (1837-1924)
County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 335

Kath. x

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 19 Apr 2008 11:19

Hi Kath

I couldnt find his birth registration, so from the siblings with him in the 1901 census, I ordered one of theirs instead.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Apr 2008 11:34

Who are the witnesses on the marriage cert.?

Gwyn

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 19 Apr 2008 11:47

Hi Gwyn

The witnesses on the cert were an Eliza flynn and an Olive Cosham ( not sure on the surname but thats what it looks like)

Tracie.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Apr 2008 12:33

Which do you think is Sydney's family in 1901?

I'm just wondering if Harriet remarried....to a Joseph, who Sydney would maybe regard as his father.

Gwyn

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 19 Apr 2008 14:00

Sydneys children were registered in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, so I started looking there first for any relatives, and I found what I thought was Sydneys family in Castlethorpe, Buckinghamshire. The age of the Sydney in this family was right and the fathers name and occupation was the same also. But I havent been able to get any further.

Tracie.

ps if this post appears x2 its because I posted it once but couldnt see it on the thread so did it again lol