Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did they go next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 18 Apr 2008 21:46

Hi,
I have a birth certificate for Esther Newberry born 10th April 1864 in Birkenhead. Parents Mary Anne (nee Smith) & George Newberry

The 1871 Census (RG10; Piece: 5455; Folio: 48; Page: 6) shows them miss-transcribed as Newbry living in Swansea.
Mary Ann says she is unmarried but I have her marriage certificate Dec 1859 to George Newberry at the Parish Church, Llanstadwell, Pembrokeshire.
In 1871she and her daughter are recorded as lodgers at 22, The Back, Swansea but with no sign of George.

Name: Esther Newbry
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Mary Ann
Where born: Birkenhead
Civil Parish: Swansea
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity and Swansea
Town: Swansea
County/Island: Glamorgan

Registration district: Swansea
Sub registration district: Swansea
ED, institution, or vessel: 22
Household schedule number: 31
Household Members:
Name Age
Harriet Bocel 28
John Bocel 29
Esther Newbry 7
Mary Ann Newbry 32

In April 1869 her eldest daughter Ann Newberry, b1860 died at the Union Workhouse, Swansea. Her father George is named on the certificate.

I can find no details of George Newberry after the death of Ann in 1869 nor of Mary Anne Newberry and her daughter Esther after the 1871 census.

Can anyone spot them on a later census? Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 18 Apr 2008 22:17

Hi Von,
Thanks. I haven't seen this one before so well worth taking a good look at it.
Much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Apr 2008 22:20

Paul,

Have you managaed to find them in 1861?

Just wondering how old George is on the marriage cert and his occupation

Maureen

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 18 Apr 2008 22:27

Hi Von,
There is an Esther Norbury born 1861, Gt Boughton (which covers Hoole, Cheshire) according to freebmd so it looks as though this is not the Esther I am seeking.
Many thanks for your help
Bye
Paul

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 18 Apr 2008 22:36

Hello Glitter Baby
In 1861 they were living with George's sister Elizabeth and bil Joshua in Gloucester.

RG9; Piece: 1766; Folio: 40; Page: 37

George Newbury
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales

Civil Parish: Gloucester St Mary de Crypt
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Registration district: Gloucester
Sub registration district: St John the Baptist
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 99
Household Members:
Name Age
Elizabeth Davidson 32
Josua Davidson 28
William Davidson 3

Ann Newbury 1
George Newbury 28
Mary A Newbury 23

Mary A Newbury
Age 23
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Where born: Neath, Glamorgan, Wales

Ann Newbury
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Where born: Briton-Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales

George was a boiler maker journeyman.

Cheers
Paul

Out shopping now but will be back.
Thanks

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 18 Apr 2008 23:56

Hi Von,
I have looked at births, deaths and marriages for a considerable number of years after 1871 but cannot find them. Have also tried variations in their surname as it is constantly incorrect but to no avail.
The only thing I have never done is check to see if they emigrated since they appear to have disappeared from radar.
Thanks
Paul

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 19 Apr 2008 00:19

Until really recent times there are no incorrect spellings of surnames Paul. This is a modern concept.

The vast majority of people were illiterate and how their name was written down depended on who was writing it and whether it was a fairly common name.

That isn't even taking into account poor writing and local accents which can account for some odd variants.

Some wealthy and well educated families seem to have opted for a particular spelling of their name fairly early on but even then some branches would vary the spelling and if a branch went down the social scale and ended up illiterate the name could look very different.

I have on one branch Fines, Fynes, Fynnes, Fienes and Fiennes. Another has Story, Storey, Storry, Storie and Storrie.

Sometimes the IGI has some very strange variations of names of people and places due to the transcribers not understanding local names or mistaking old writing.

Sue