Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Informal Adoption c1903

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Apr 2008 12:51

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make progress with this one?

I have been contacted by a relative whose grandmother was brought up has part of an aunt's family because she was born illegitimate in 1903. She was known by the name of the aunt's family and married under that name in 1922. I've considered various possibilities, but she does not seem to be registered between 1901 and 1905 under either the surname of her birth mother or under her 'adopted' name. I wondered whether they had passed her off as auntie's child right from the beginning, but seemingly not.

I need to get the marriage certificate, but if that doesn't come up with a father's name then I think I'm stuck...unless someone out there knows differently.

Sheila

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Apr 2008 13:00

Have you looked for a birth in a completely different area too?

I know of someone informally adopted into her extended family and it is thought that the birth mother's own father never knew about his daughter's illegitimate child born after she went on an extended visit to help out a relative in another area.......(to give birth really)

Gwyn