Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which district would this be??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 19 Apr 2008 17:46

On the 1901 census a child is said to be 5 years old and he was born in Bootle. I have checked on Ancestry bmd and there are two possibles, one in the registration district of Liverpool and one West Derby.

Any idea which district Bootle would be in please??

Kathlyn

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Apr 2008 17:47

Check it on FreeBMD and you can click on registration and get the description of towns and villages covered by that area

pam

pam Report 19 Apr 2008 18:14

If you mean where is Bootle it's in liverpool
good luck

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 19 Apr 2008 18:21

I have just taken a look at my file for registration districts and it says Bootle is from 1837 to 1939 Registration district Bootle (Cumb.) Cumberland.
Not sure if this is the same one you are refering too, but this is the only Bootle on my list.

Good luck

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 19 Apr 2008 18:24

Hi SM,

The Bootle he was born in was the Liverpool one. I think it may have been separate from Liverpool in 1891 but is now part of Liverpool.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Apr 2008 18:35

Bootle was originally in West Derby when this covered the whole of northern Liverpool, rather than just the small district it now is. It later became part of Liverpool District.

The Bootle in Cumbria is a completely different town altogether.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 19 Apr 2008 18:40

Hi Peter,

Which one do you think is "mine"....as the census info says he was born in Bootle would it be Liverpool of West Derby in 1895??

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Apr 2008 19:04

WEST DERBY REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Lancashire.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Abolished : 1.10.1934 (succeeded by Bootle, Crosby, Liverpool North and Prescot districts).
Sub-districts : Bootle; Crosby; Everton; Everton North; Everton North West; Everton; Everton South East; Fazakerley; Kirkdale; Litherland; North Everton; South Everton; Toxteth Park; Walton; Wavertree; West Derby; West Derby Eastern; West Derby Western.
GRO volumes : XX (1837-51); 8b (1852-1934).

BOOTLE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Lancashire.
Created : 1.10.1934 (out of West Derby district).
Sub-district : Bootle.
GRO volumes : 8b (1934-46); 10B (1946-74).

from http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

so in 1895 it would be West Derby

Roy

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 20 Apr 2008 13:19

Hi Roy,

Many thanks for your info re registration districts, that is a great help

Regards,

Kathlyn

Thelma

Thelma Report 20 Apr 2008 13:24

Tip
Search Bootle Lancs(nothing else) on any census
Where born: Bootle, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Bootle Cum Linacre
Ecclesiastical parish: Walton on the Hill St Mary
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: West Derby
Sub registration district: Bootle

lojo39

lojo39 Report 20 Apr 2008 23:24

i have a nice little programme called parish locator you can download it free from

http://www.censusuk.co.uk/dloadnew.htm