Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry shoebox

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 19 Apr 2008 18:37

How does this work please?
I have saved loads of census details in my shoebox and presumed that each entry would be saved with the name of the person. When I have just checked in My Ancestry it just gives the year of the census and not the persons name. I now have about 20 1861 records I am gonna have to look at each one to find the one I want. Hmmn.
Di

tinaj

tinaj Report 19 Apr 2008 18:42

It's not just me then! Its worse than that - even if i work my way through them and remember who they were for I can't find a way of saving it to that person, so have to search for it again!!

\I thought I must have missed something

Christine

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 19 Apr 2008 18:51

The more I look at Ancestry the more I think I won't be renewing. I prefer TheGenealogist site. Their shoe box is easier to view and the address is given in the previews for all censuses. (Sometimes transcribed wrongly I have to add) Couldn't afford both so with Ancestry until renewal.

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Apr 2008 19:11

Don't understand why your names are not coming up, just had a look at my shoebox and it has the name of the person as well.
Hilary.

itsmefromupnorth

itsmefromupnorth Report 19 Apr 2008 19:12

Have only just started using the shoebox but have had no problems yet!
Just click on' My Ancestry', scroll down to 'Shoebox' and click on 'See all shoebox items' - everything is there

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 19 Apr 2008 19:14

Hilary
Refreshed Ancestry for the third time and yippee it's showing the names.
Thank you
Di

Knew how to view the shoebox items but just got a list of the cenuses years and no names before.

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Apr 2008 19:18

Think I have sussed it. When you get the person's details up on a census, save that to your shoebox instead of the viewed image of the census. Then it will bring up the name in shoebox, click on that & you can view the census image from there. If you save from the viewed image it does'nt put a name up. Try it out on any census & see if it works then delete it if you don't want it.
Hope this is clear.
Hilary.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 19 Apr 2008 19:41

Thanks Hilary.
I have saved the report and sometimes the image for the same person.
Does this mean that you can view this entry even if your subs have run out?
Di

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Apr 2008 19:46

Hi Di, not sure about that one, would assume if your subs have run out, you would'nt be able to log in. Best thing is to print all your census images off. Then you have your record on paper.
Hilary.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 19 Apr 2008 19:53

You can stil log in if your subs have run out just as a registered guest and would be able to view the free items, ie partial BMDs and 1881 transcriptions but not the shoebox items.

Christine

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 19 Apr 2008 20:01

Christine
Thanks for the advice..