Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newcastle Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 20 Apr 2008 13:41

Can anyone help me to locate the area my Gt. Grandfather was born. He married as Robert Menham on the 14th Oct. 1849 in the Parish Church of St.John, Newcastle. His wife was Catherine Young and I have found her going back and that she came from Durham. They had a daughter in November 1849 in the All Saints area of Newcastle. However they do not appear on the 1851 census. By 1860 they have moved down to London and the name has gradually changed through this time evenually going to Manning. I would really like to trace Robert but cannot find him on the 1841 census and as the only thing on the census to go on his that he came from Newcastle. How can I find what area he came from so that I can search the records.
I must add that I did originally fly to Newcastle and spent a couple of days searching the records but at that stage I was looking at the name Manning and not Menham.

Frazzled

Frazzled Report 20 Apr 2008 14:07

Do you have Robert's marriage cert as it would give his father's name which would help searching the 1841 census

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 20 Apr 2008 14:12

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

is the web address for the new LDS search labs site.
They have the bishops transcripts for the Newcastle parishes you need to look at. These are copies of the parish records which give the same info that you saw on the microfilms in the records office (or should do, providing they were copied correctly)

You just need to register for the site by giving your email address, it then tells you to wait for a confirmation email, but I have never received mine. you just need to wait a few minutes then log in again.

when you log in choose England Diocese of Durham Bishops transcripts ca 1700-1900 from the column on the right.
Then select, Northumberland, Newcastle etc.
you may be able to find some clues by looking at the marriage and christening records. you may also find other children

Linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 20 Apr 2008 14:15

I assume that you have bought the marriage certificate as you know the date

Catherine Young
Year of Registration: 1849
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Newcastle Upon Tyne
County: Northumberland, Tyne and Wear
Volume: 25
Page: 420

to Robert Menham

Carol

Carol Report 20 Apr 2008 15:44

Many thanks for all your replies. I will try the website you have given me. Yes I did have the marriage certificate and I know that his father was also a Robert and that he was a Gardener (that was in 1849).