Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malletts of Sloane Square

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 20 Apr 2008 16:06

When my great grandfather died he was working for a company called Malletts (may be spelled otherwise) in Sloane Square, London. That's all I know. I've tried Googling it but I can't find out anything about the company or what was their line of business. Any ideas?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 20 Apr 2008 16:09

What year? Have you tried Historical Directories?(1800s to about 1915)

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Apr 2008 16:57

What was the date?

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 20 Apr 2008 17:11

Sorry - I didn't intend to leave it out... 1921!

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Apr 2008 17:39

Sloane Square is mentioned here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=28709

- a section of the VCH of Middlesex, vol 12 Chelsea

There is a paragraph on the newspapers of Chelsea in the 1920s - you may find an advert for Malletts in these?

"Chelsea was served by three long-lived titles. (fn. 6) The Chelsea Mail began in 1856 as the West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal, changing its name in 1897 to the Chelsea Mail and West Middlesex Advertiser, which it retained until it ceased publication in 1913, apart from 1905 to 1908 when the title was reversed. The Chelsea News and General Advertiser began publication in the early 1860s, changing its name to The Westminster and Chelsea News in 1879, and the West London Press, Westminster and Chelsea News in 1855. From 1962 it was published as the Chelsea News, West London Press and Westminster & Pimlico News, and from 1972 as the Chelsea News. In 1920 the Chelsea Courier and Kensington Gazette began publication, changing it name to Chelsea Gazette in 1923 and the Chelsea & West London Gazette in 1927, but the West London and Chelsea Gazette from 1929 until it was discontinued in 1971."

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Apr 2008 19:05

Could one possibility be Mallett Antiques? Their current address is New Bond Street, but they have been in existence as a business since the 1860s.

Googling found this:

"Savills is set to bring Bourdon House, 2 Davies Street, Mayfair, W1 to the market this week at a guide price of £15 million.
The long-leasehold property, offered on behalf of Mallett Antiques, occupies a site area of approximately 8,380 sq ft (778 sq m) and comprises a gross internal area of 15,225 sq ft (1,415 sq m).
Built in the early 18th century, Bourdon House, a grade II* listed building, was the residence of the second Duke of Westminster until his death in 1953. Over the last fifty years it has been occupied by Mallett as an antiques showroom. Held on a 95 year lease from the Grosvenor Estate, the property is being sold with vacant possession.
Liell Francklin of Savills’ west end agency says: “Bourdon House is an historic and exceptionally attractive Mayfair town house which offers potential for a variety of different uses.”

- perhaps they moved out of Sloane Square in the 1950s?

(It might well though be an entirely different business you are looking for....)

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Apr 2008 19:08

Are you quite sure it was Mallett? There was an auctioneer's called Wm Willett Ltd at the Willett Building in Sloane Square.

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Apr 2008 19:13

Hi Mary,

I'm about to go and cook - did our posts cross? Paul doesn't seem to have mentioned auction houses and antiques - serendipity?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Apr 2008 19:21

I've had a quick look in the 1921 phone book; there are a few Mallet(t)s in London, but none in Sloane Square.

Mallett Antiques were already in New Bond Street then.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Apr 2008 19:23

Hi Ivy,

Yes, it was just a coincidence :-)

I had a quick look in the Times for Mallett and Sloane Squire, and came across Willett by chance.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 20 Apr 2008 21:56

How funny - another coincidence. My mum worked for William Willets in the late 1940's! No connection though.

Mary, if there's nothing in the 1921 phone directory, then I think the eldery relative who gave me this information was mistaken. No point searching further. Thanks everybody.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 20 Apr 2008 22:10

That's a pity, Paul, I thought we might have a connection - I have a treeful of Malletts :-)

Not many in London, though.

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Apr 2008 23:07

Hi Mary,

Away for longer than I intended - lots of coincidences on the thread. I'm glad you were able to nail the New Bond Street one for 1921.

Paul does ask interesting questions!

All the best