Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial Records & Unmarked Graves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 20 Apr 2008 18:09

Hi,

After years of searching, I've just discovered details about my Grandfather. He was estranged from my father, and nothing was ever spoken of him until I joined GR and found a desendant of his sister.

I've now found out that he only died in 1970, alone and penniless!

His name was Lawrence Donnelly (1912 - 1970) and is buried in Glenluce, Wigtownshire, Scotland....however, because he was penniless, I presume the grave is unmarked, as I've searched for the headstone but can't find it.

My question is how do I find the place of his burial?

If I can find it, I'm going to make damn well future generations know where he is and give him a headstone!

Anyone help?

Gary

Gary

Gary Report 20 Apr 2008 18:38

Hi Alice,

Not sure what you mean, do you mean write to the Church itself?

Not appear "an eejit" - I've never heard of anyone writing to a cemetery up here

Gary

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 Apr 2008 18:42

Gary,

Yes you need to approach wherever your grandfather is buried. They will be able to tell you exactly which plot number he rests in and they sometimes even show you where - if you are very lucky.

Best Wishes

Jane

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Apr 2008 18:49

If its a municiple cemetry,you will need to contact the local council who owns it,,,as they also hold ground registers of burials in their cemetires,,,,,,,,,especially from 1970...........I supose the same will apply for Scotland,

Gary

Gary Report 20 Apr 2008 18:51

Thanks everyone!

I'll try the council, fingers crossed I've found the right graveyard!!

Gary

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Apr 2008 19:08

have you googled,,,it may come under Stranrear council,,,,,,,,