Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would it be normal to . . .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 20 Apr 2008 18:35

Keep a married name of a deceased husband as a middle name?

Fmaily information states that I have supposedly had an Edith St Clair Blacklock born 1891 in the Newcaslte upon Tyne area in my tree. Howeve, I cannot trace but I have traced a marriage between an Edith Blacklock and a Herbert Sinlcair - haven't established quite what happened to him yet - but then Edith married a Thomas Bradbury.

Double dutch I know but . . .? ?!?!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 20 Apr 2008 18:41

Is this her in 1901?

Edith Blacklock
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Annie
Where born: Newcastle, Northumberland, England

Civil Parish: Byker
Ecclesiastical parish: St Silas
Town: Newcastle
County/Island: Northumberland

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne
Sub registration district: Byker
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 166
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Blacklock 40
Dora Blacklock 8
Edith Blacklock 13
John Blacklock 44
William Blacklock 11

RG13; Piece: 4790; Folio: 41; Page: 26.

It's not uncommon to carry a name on by using it as a middle or double barreled name

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 20 Apr 2008 18:52

I've not heard of a woman keeping her first husband's name as a middle one though in earlier times if women married a second husband who was of lower status then the first they sometimes kept their first title.

You say it is a family story and I wonder if people are remembering that she had two husbands rather than she actually called herself that.

Strange things do happen though. One branch off from my family tree has a widow marrying into the family and she gave her first born son by the second husband the name Norris (which was her first husband's surname).

Sue

Joanne

Joanne Report 20 Apr 2008 19:04

I thought it was her originally, but the information that I had been given was that her parents were William & Annie not Joseph and Annie. Also not convinced on how accurate the tree is that I have been given.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 20 Apr 2008 19:08

People's memories for names are not always accurate.

I'd start from scratch with what you know for sure and work your way backwards carefully.

Sue