Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thoughts please on a baptism.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 19:21

Not a brick wall as such just a high fence.
I have stuggled to find the date of birth for Richard Stanford who died aged 72 in 1837. IGI states he was from Richmond Surrey when in fact he moved from Little Marlow Buckinghamshire in 1795 (records seen in Richmond). By this time he was married with 2 childen by Elizabeth Wilson. (Marriage confirmed in 1790 Westminster.)
The parish records I received notes for today from Buckingham FHS states a Richard Stanford was baptised aged 20 in 1765 in Olney Buckinghamshire. This would make him 90+ when he died. Is this feasible?
I don't think this is likely as he signed a lease for land in 1836 for 5 years (record seen in Richmond)

Am I missing something here? I am assuming he was baptised so he could marry.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Di

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 20 Apr 2008 19:34

He didn't have a father or uncle called Richard?

Suzanne

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 20 Apr 2008 19:36

Have found 3 adult baptismal records from the late 1700's in Ulverston. 2 of them involved Quaker girls, and the records state they were married the same day they were baptised.

David

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 19:42

Thank you Suzy
Richard appears to be the name given to most sons down the line. Either William Richard or Richard William.
Can I ask what you're thinking. I am so bogged down with this. There is no other Richard born in Olney and the only William is b1737.

David - What age would be classed as adult baptism please?

Thanks
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 20:18

I think the Richard baptised 1765 in Olney and married around the same time is not my Richard. I have to find a Richard b about 1765.

Just talking out loud. lol

Di

Kate

Kate Report 20 Apr 2008 20:45

Is it possible that the two are cousins? I would look into whether that is possible.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 21:12

Could anyone confirm the age of consent for marriage around 1790 please?
Thanks
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 21:13

Kate- Why do you suggest they may be cousins? I am being really thick here!!!
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 21:27

Von
I have looked at the parishes in Buckinghamshire and no other Richard or William. He moved from Little Marlow in 1795 to Richmond so I am lost now.
Any suggestions as to where I look next. lol
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 21:37

1790 Westminster to Elizabeth Wilson.
Thanks Von
Di
My thoughts were that he moved from wherever he was born to marry and then on again to Marlow before moving to Richmond. He became head shepherd to George 3rd and moved to Richmond with the job so to speak.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 21:52

The marriage entry only gives Rich'd Stanford = Elizabeth Wilson 1790 Westminster.

I don't have an address in Little Marlow as the doc I viewed last week stated he moved to Richmond in 1795 from Little Marlow. I'll look to see if there are tax records.
Thank you for the suggestions Von.

Kate

Kate Report 20 Apr 2008 21:53

I was just thinking perhaps your Richard and the one you found baptised could have been cousins (or uncle and nephew) if they were from the same area.

Perhaps your Richard was born in the place where the baptised Richard was born because his parents were visiting their relatives there?

My 3xgreat grandma was named Susannah Hurst (born 1812 and 20 years younger than her eldest sibling) and her husband was John Hurst (born 1814, baptised at the same church, and the eldest of his siblings). John's dad was the same age as Susannah's eldest brother so I am investigating whether Susannah's dad and John's grandad may have been siblings.

So perhaps there is a distant link somewhere in the background between your Richard and the one you found baptised (as the found Richard is too old to be yours) - maybe your Richard was named after him?

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 20 Apr 2008 22:03

Kate.
Thanks I now see where you're coming from. I'll keep it in mind and rethink.
Di

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 21 Apr 2008 09:09

Hello Di

Sorry for the delay in replying, but Foyle's War was on.

The one Quaker girl was said to be 22 when she was baptised. No age was given for the other but I wonder if the term would be applied in the same way as "Of full age" - ie 21 at least - on marriage certificates.

David

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 21 Apr 2008 17:38

David
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
Di