Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ojb266

ojb266 Report 20 Apr 2008 23:39

does anyone know a site with all the marriages in durham transcribed. i have searched everywhere for the marriage of mt paternal grandmother but cant seem to find it. i tried ancestry free bmd etc i even tried sunderland registry office where the marriage certificate would have been obtained from. the marriage should have taken place in sunderland between late 1930s and 1940s. i am only assuming the marriage took place as my nans name on her death certificate is not her maiden name and my father cant help as the marriage i am looking for is from her first partner, i know she never married my dads father( he dissapeared down south not long after my dads birth). my nan died when my dad was 15 so he did not know much about his family and so it remains a mystery. thanks

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 20 Apr 2008 23:44

Have you search the complete BMD on Ancestry?

Other than that she could well have just changed her name & never married

ojb266

ojb266 Report 20 Apr 2008 23:50

thanks for the reply, i have searched the complete bmd and still hittin the same brick wall on this one. it could be possible that she changed her name to that of her partner.she had 3 children with him and her next child 3 years later had the same father as my dad. she has 5 children to him and as far as i can see she never married him so it is a possibility. would the records office know of any legal name changes.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 21 Apr 2008 00:17

Ashleigh ...There are quite a few Durham Records on this site.....

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/

Nicky

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Apr 2008 00:55

Ashleigh,

When looking through Ancestry BMDs be sure you get a listing for EVERY quarter for each year. The handwritten notes at the bottom of the page mess up the alphabetical order for searches and sometimes not every quarter is returned. Is there a chance this happened?

Rose