Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

consulate constables - china late 1800's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brigette

Brigette Report 21 Apr 2008 17:08

my ggfather was born uk (?) henry george evans born approx 1840 he went to work in china as a consulate constable, does anyone know how i could get more info,(such as death) and also when he left uk etc i belive he married there to chinese woman and my grandmother alice evans was born there ....thnks

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Apr 2008 17:20

Brigette

Your first area for research would be the Overseas Birth Index for Alice as her father would have been a British Subject.

As far as I am aware the Overseas Birth Indices are now all pay to view so hopefully someone has access and is willing to do a search.

Good Luck

Chris

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 21 Apr 2008 17:41

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9406E1DC1130E733A25756C1A9649C946297D6CF&oref=slogin

I just googled....evans consular constable china.

The above web address gave me a newspaper archive article from 1903 which tells of the murder of a Mr Evans on board a ship and says he had married a Chinese lady!!

Suzanne

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 22 Apr 2008 18:43

I'm so disappointed that Brigette has not come back on this one...I thought it was fascinating..maybe she will later.

Suzanne

Brigette

Brigette Report 3 May 2008 14:02

thanks soooooooo much, great info