Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, I need some advice!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Toni

Toni Report 21 Apr 2008 20:46

I cannot find the place of birth for my grandfather, Thomas Henry Hall - DOB 29.12.1901. I know he died, and is buried, in Scotland (Luss Village, Loch Lomond) but I cannot find a record of his birth. He married in Chester Le Street, Co. Durham in 1932 (I have his marriage cert) to Elsie Birkett, who was born in Chester Le Street. They both lived in and around Hexham, Northumberland until they moved to Loch Lomond around 1960.

I have now been informed, by my grandfather's former employers, Luss Estates, that he was probably Scottish. Neither his marraige certificate or his death certificate give his mother's name, only his father's, also Thomas Hall. The Scottish Census record was compiled on the night of 31 March/1 April 1901, so my grandfather was not included on this. Does anyone have any idea of how I can trace my grandfather's place of birth, so I can obtain his birth certificate?
I would be very grateful for any help, as I really don't know what to do next. Thanks, Toni

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 21 Apr 2008 21:04

Hi Toni

Could this be him, it is the only birth registered in Jan/Feb/March 1902 which is when his birth would probably have been registered as it is right at the end of December.

Thomas Henry Hall - Hexham 10b 397

Hope this helps

Marilyn

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 21 Apr 2008 21:07

I can't see a birth in ScotlandsPeople at the right time.

Nicola

Nicola Report 21 Apr 2008 21:09

I have copies all teh records for Thomas Hall where the birth is registed in Q4 1901 or Q2 1902 (the latter is more likely given his dob). None are listed as Thomas Henry but that's not a reason to exclude them. You will need to start with the ones most likely and eliminate them one by one. I suspect you may be purchasing a few certs!. You may find that some of them have mothers listed on teh local bmd sites and this is worth persuing.

Good luck!

Thomas Hall 1901 Oct-Nov-Dec Houghton Le Spring Durham
View Record

Thomas Hall 1901 Oct-Nov-Dec Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland, Tyne and Wear
View Record

Thomas Hall 1901 Oct-Nov-Dec Lanchester (1875-1938) Durham

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar South Shields Durham, Tyne and Wear
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Mansfield Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Fylde Lancashire
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Worcester Hereford and Worcester, Worcestershire
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Oldham Greater Manchester, Lancashire
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Durham (1837-1938) Durham
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Hartlepool (1859-1938) Durham
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Stockton Durham, Yorkshire - North Riding
View Record

Thomas Hall 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Leigh Greater Manchester, Lancashire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Apr 2008 22:20

What was the occupation of his father? (On the marriage cert)

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 21 Apr 2008 22:45

There are several on SP but none with the middle name of Henry - and only these 2 in 1901

4 1901 HALL THOMAS M KINNING PARK GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/14 0831 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER

5 1901 HALL THOMAS M BLACKFRIARS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/05 1129 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Apr 2008 22:52

In my opinion the birth that Marilyn found registered in Hexham looks the most likely given that that is where they lived, and if he was born 29th December, 1901 then I wouldn't expect him to be registered until the March qtr. of 1902.

Kath. x

Toni

Toni Report 25 Apr 2008 06:56

Thanks everyone for your help.

Marilyn: I did search the 10a 397, but ruled it out because father on this was not Thomas.
Mary: thanks for trying Scottish People.
Nicola: Thanks for finding these entries, I will, as you suggest try the 1902 entries. It's a pity you can't look up name of father before ordering certificate. I will ask GRO to search and only supply if Thomas listed as father.
Reggie: Both Thomas Jnr and Snr were forresters.
Contrary Mary: Thanks for finding these entries on Scottish People. I also found these but had problems viewing - was charged but couldn't view, something to do with browser (?). I am visiting Scotland in a couple of weeks, so may have to persue this in person.
Kathleen: Thanks. I will look into the 1902 entries and see what that comes up with.
Thanks again everyone. I will let you know if I have any joy. Toni