Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Idea's on what these words could be

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 21 Apr 2008 22:48

I have just received a will dated 1845 and can't make out the two words I've put in brackets. Has anyone any idea what they could be.

"I give devise and bequeath unto my said two Sons JOHN BLAKER and WILLIAM BLAKER All and every my Freehold and Leasehold Estates which I shall die (seizest) or (fisfsofsed) of situate in Brighton or elsewhere To hold the same with their respective Apprentenances unto them the said JOHN BLAKER and WILLIAM BLAKER their Heirs Executors Administrators and Assigns forever Or for all such Estate Term and Interest as I may have therein at the time of my decease as Tenants in Common and not as joint Tenants is Subject nevertheless and upon Condition that they my said Sons JOHN BLAKER and WILLIAM BLAKER do pay unto my said wife ELIZABETH ANN BLAKER One annual Sum or Yearly Rent Charge of fifty pounds sterling for and during the Term of her natural Life.
Many Thanks

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 21 Apr 2008 22:54

It probably says "which I shall die seized or possessed of". "Seized of" means owned.

The double s was written "fs".

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 21 Apr 2008 23:07

Im just transcribing a will and it says those very words Mary just said :))

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 21 Apr 2008 23:19

Many thanks Mary & Devon Dweller, I knew about the double s but put it in incase it could have been something else.

Looking at the will again I can see it now, trouble with the copy is it has lots of dots and marks over it making it difficult in places to read. Still I can't complain about that as the record office sent me 2 copies of it and now looking at the much darker copy [unreadable in places] the words are much clearer on that part.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 22 Apr 2008 00:26

The only bit I get is Apprentenances which are all outhouses and annexes which includes the privies !!! most important !

Moggie

Moggie Report 22 Apr 2008 08:33

FEOFFEE: a trustee who holds land without specified conditions

FEOFFMENT: an early form of conveyance involving a simple transfer of freehold land by deed followed by in a ceremony called livery of seisin.

APPURTENANCES: other things belonging to the land such as, for example, yards, gardens and orchards or something intangible such as a common right

SEIZIN/SEIZED (also seisin) : the possession of freehold property; livery of seizin is the ceremony of taking possession by physical transfer of a turf, key, etc.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 22 Apr 2008 17:02

hi there folks.
Since we are on wills could anyone tell me this word. It says I give and devise all and every the Melsuages cottages land tenements hereditments and real estate. Can't make out the Melsuages and hereditments, any help would be greatful.

Thanks

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 22 Apr 2008 17:05

Messuages and hereditaments.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engsurry/glossary.shtml

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 22 Apr 2008 21:21

hi there Mary,
thanks for that.
I have just been on Dictionary.com its really good for explanations. Thanks for the messuages, i couldn't read the spelling of that on the will.
Thank you