Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1830 Marriage Entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 21 Apr 2008 23:00

I got a marriage entry today from the Devon Records office and wondered if anyone could assist. In the part where it says in the 'presence of' it starts 'The Mark of the same' - who is it likely to be referring to? The bride who is named directly above? (Also signed with 'Mark of')

It's a very poor copy and hard to read - any ideas please?

Neil

Neil Report 21 Apr 2008 23:02

Also as there are no names in the 'with consent of' box does this mean they are both over 21 (or claim they are!!)?

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 21 Apr 2008 23:14

Neil

Usually when it says 'The mark of....' It means they cannot read or write so sign thier name with an 'X'

Mind you! I'm not sure about before official registration in 1837.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Apr 2008 23:16

I would have thought the witness' name would have been given though. "The mark of John Brown" or "John Brown his mark". Is there a name next to it?

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 23:17

It ought to say whether or not they are Full Age (that is over 21). If not an age is usually recorded and consent of parent/guardian.

Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Apr 2008 23:19

It should have one of the witness's names after "The Mark of" if this comes after the words "in the presence of".

Kath. x

Neil

Neil Report 21 Apr 2008 23:28

It most certainly looks like 'The Mark of the same' - i will scan it in work tomorrow and post a link to it for opinions!