Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best site?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 22 Apr 2008 15:24

Having recently com back to my family tree search after a year off, I am realising now why I found it so frustrating in the first place... Lack of Money LOL!! I find all the credits for searches adds up, I know that there are people who do look ups but I quite enjoy doing them myself!
What is the best site to subscribe to? Ideally I want one with unlimited searches for all records, but don't know if such a thing exsists???
I am still very new to this so Just wondered what experienced searchers do? I am on a limited budget but don't mind paying out a larger initial payment for a subscription so that I can save my money for certificates etc.
I have had a look around but there are so many sites it is all a bit confusing! What about 192.com, is that a good one?
can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Apr 2008 15:40

Hi

The best site i use everyday for census BMD etc
is Ancestry.co.uk Its around £70 a year
but you do get a free trial for a couple of weeks if needed before buying it.

Unlimited searches & worth every penny

Nicola

Nicola Report 22 Apr 2008 15:49

Thank you for your reply! I'm off to sort out the kids now, but will go and have a look when they are in bed.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Apr 2008 15:50

192.com is only for current info...............

A lot of info is available free.............

In my opinion, Ancestry.co.uk is the best site at the moment, as it has all England /Wales censues, and all England/Wales bmd's from 1837 to 2005

Ancestry also has Scotland censuses..not the images, though.

findmypast has several censuses (not all), searchable by address, and all England/Wales bmd's as per Ancestry. It also has overseas bmd's (for British subjects)

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 22 Apr 2008 15:51

I dont know if it still works but if you go to sign up then back out as if you have changed your mind they offer it cheaper.!